Prakash Jha shuns reports over Jai Gangaajal voluntary cuts
The Central Board of Film Certification had reportedly told Jha to clean out his soundtrack and visuals of verbal and physical violence.bollywood Updated: Jan 03, 2016 18:50 IST
Filmmaker Prakash Jha has denied reports that he made voluntary cuts to his upcoming cop drama Jai Gangaajal to avoid getting an ‘Adult’ certificate from the censor board.
The Central Board of Film Certification had reportedly told Jha to clean out his soundtrack and visuals of verbal and physical violence to make the Priyanka Chopra-starrer eligible for a U/A certification.
“Misleading and inaccurate! Never made voluntary cuts… We are going in appeal against the CBFC decision,” the filmmaker — known for his socio-political films such as Gangaajal, Apaharan and Raajneeti — said on Saturday.
The controversy comes just a day after the central government set up a committee headed by acclaimed filmmaker Shyam Benegal to look at a possible revamping of the censor board, facing allegations of stifling artistic freedom under present chairman Pahlaj Nihalani.
According to some reports, the board wanted to grant Jha’s film an ‘A’ certificate with minimal cuts and the director, insistent on a ‘U/A’ certificate, finally chose to make the changes.
Jai Gangaajal is the sequel to Jha’s 2003 hit Gangaajal, and releases on March 4. With Chopra donning the khadi, the film aims to examine the relationship between society and the police. Jha will also be seen playing the role of a police officer in the film.
The censor board recently invited negative publicity after its chief, Nihalani, revealed that he had snipped off many kissing scenes from the latest James Bond movie, Spectre, without watching the film. Earlier, he had earned the ire of filmmakers and other board members after he prepared a list of cuss words that could not be used in films.
The BJP-led government had replaced the UPA-appointed board in January last year when then chairperson Leela Samson quit along with 13 board members while accusing the government of treating them in a “cavalier and dismissive manner”. Critics say the Nihalani-led censor board is packed with those with links to the saffron party.