Sorry Akshay Kumar, Airlift is short on facts: External affairs ministry
The external affairs ministry on Thursday termed Bollywood film Airlift, which portrays the Kuwait evacuation of 1990 and its role, as “great entertainment but rather short on facts”. Akshay Kumar and the team of the film has been banking on the ‘true story tag’ of the film.
“This is a film and films often take liberties with actual events, facts. This particular film has also taken artistic liberties in the depiction of the events as it actually happened in Kuwait in 1990,” MEA spokesperson Vikas Swarup said. He said those who remember the 1990 evacuation would also know the “very proactive” role that the MEA played.
The film, written and directed by Raja Menon, shows diplomats leaving within hours of Iraq entering Kuwait and leaving hapless Indian nationals behid. As the embassy shut down, it fell upon a band of local businessmen, including Akshay Kumar, to organise a refugee camp, negotiate with the Iraqis and return home. It also showed that external affairs ministry was least interested in evacuating Indians.
While former foreign secretary Nirupama Rao was highly critical of the film in her tweet, Vikas Swarup was more diplomatic yet focussed on the ministry’s effort. He mentioned that official delegation was sent to Baghdad and Kuwait and that tremendous coordination was put in place with the Ministry of Civil Aviation, Air India and a host of other government departments. “I myself can vouch for this as I myself was on the front lines of evacuating Indians from Kuwait who were coming into Turkey via Syria,” Swarup said.
In the film, the MEA has been shown as lacking a proactive approach. He said that those who may not remember the 1990 evacuation, would certainly remember the more recent evacuations that the MEA had coordinated from Iraq, Libya, Yemen and Ukraine.
Read: Airlift review
“We do hope that the film will inspire people to read more about the actual events that took place and the very proactive role that MEA has always played in safeguarding the interest, concerns and security of Indian citizens who live and work abroad,” he said.
Swarup pointed out that the fact that such a theme has been selected for a film shows how important this is. “We in the MEA consider the protection of Indian citizens abroad as among our foremost responsibilities. We have proved this in the past and shall continue to do so in the future as well,” he said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shahid Kapoor aced the Centre of Gravity challenge, much to the surprise of his wife Mira Rajput, who called him a 'smooth operator'. Watch the video here.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has reaffirmed her wish to reconcile with the actor in a new interview, adding that she is ready to mend her ties with his brother Shamas.
- Rhea Kapoor dedicated an adorable Instagram post to her boyfriend Karan Boolani. She shared pictures of her showering him with kisses. See his reply here.
- Taimur Ali Khan was photographed in Mumbai on Sunday. The star kid was seen out with his father Saif Ali Khan and half-sister Sara Ali Khan.
- Sara Ali Khan shared two new pictures from brother Ibrahim's birthday party. More pictures were shared by one of Ibrahim's friends.
- Anupam Kher, who turned a year older on Sunday, shared a video from his birthday 'pawri' with his 'best friends'. Watch it here.
- Actor Vidya Balan has recalled feeling worried about how her family would react to The Dirty Picture. She revealed her mother and father's immediate reaction to the film.
- Twinkle Khanna, using an adorable photo of daughter Nitara kissing a puppy, urged everyone to wear their masks correctly instead of using them as 'chin straps'.
- Janhvi Kapoor celebrated her 24th birthday on Saturday, with the team of Good Luck Jerry. See inside pictures and videos from the celebrations here.
- Alia Bhatt is ready for summer and her latest Instagram post is a proof of it. Alia was seen soaking up the sun, leaving Katrina Kaif impressed.
- Akshay Kumar shares a picture from the script-reading session of Ram Setu with Jacqueline Fernandez and Nushrratt Baruccha.
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, who recently welcomed her second child with husband Saif Ali Khan, reciprocated the love that was showered on her by his sister, Saba.
- Kangana Ranaut once claimed credit for some iconic scenes in Queen, and said that she did not expect much from the film.