Sushmita Sen on adopting two girls: ‘People think it was a great act of charity but it was self-preservation’
Bollywood actor Sushmita Sen, who adopted two girls, has said that her decision to bring Renee and Alisah into her family was not an act of charity. She claims she was trying to protect herself. She adopted Renee in 2000 and later brought Alisah as her second adopted daughter in 2010.
An Indian Express report quoted her as saying, “The wisest decision I made at the age of 24 was to become a mother. It stabilised my life. People think it was a great act of charity and wonderful action but it was self-preservation. It was me protecting myself.” Sushmita was speaking at FICCI Hyderabad recently.
“In the natural birth, the mother and the child connect through the umbilical cord but in adoption, the mother and the child are connected by this higher power, a connection that you cannot cut off. I have had the privilege of experiencing it twice. To become a mother who has given birth from the heart. I have not missed a day of feeling the joy of motherhood,” she added.
Sharing a small snippet from the event, Sushmita wrote on Instagram, “#bornfromtheheart Thank you Shilpa Datla & the entire team of #ficciflohyderabad for inviting me to yet another enriching session of interaction with like minded women!!!If this helps encourage & strengthen the resolve of people to be more open towards #adoption our job is done!!! I love you guys!!!”
Sushmita, an active Instagram user, often shares pictures and videos with her daughters and boyfriend Rohman Shawl. She also shares achievements of her daughters with her fans on the platform.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.
- Boney Kapoor said that he was fortunate to have 'some of the strongest women in the world' in his life -- late wife Sridevi, and daughters Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor.
- Despite cancelling divorce proceedings, Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife, Aaliya, has said that they aren't yet living with each other.
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra shared a funny and cute video of the two of them to celebrate his wife and an 'amazing role model'.