Yashraj bets on Imran Khan
It’s been barely three years since his debut, Jaane Tu.. Ya Jaane Naa catapulted him to stardom. And Mere Brother Ki Dulhan, his first outing with Yash Raj Films (YRF), is yet to reach the cinemas.
But it seems that actor Imran Khan, would’ve become the new blue-eyed boy of the Chopras. Producer Aditya Chopra has offered the actor five scripts, including one he’s written himself, to choose from for his next film with them.
A crewmember with YRF says Aditya is extremely pleased with Khan’s performance in Mere Brother Ki Dulhan. “Having also seen Imran’s performance in I Hate Luv Storys (2010) previously, Adi feels he should further consolidate his position in romcoms,” says the crewmember, adding, “That’s why he has given Imran five scripts, including one authored by him, to pick as his next film with YRF.”
Years ago, when Aditya started on his path to become the Czar of YRF with Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (1995), his directorial debut’s unprecedented success turned Shah Rukh Khan into Bollywood’s first major star overseas. “It seems that after SRK, Aditya is backing Imran the most from among his contemporaries,” points the source.
On his part, Khan concedes that he’s still very new to the industry with only a handful of films to his credit. At the same time, he admits, “Adi is someone I look up to and take advice from. Karan (Johar) is also someone whom I’m extremely close to.”
Shrugging off being heralded as the prince of romance, the actor maintains, “I don’t know about being anyone’s blue eyed-boy, but it does feel good when my work is appreciated and filmmakers show confidence in me.”
Khan adds that this confidence helps him work harder to live up to expectations. As for being given the liberty by the Chopras to choose from many scripts, he says, “When they think I suit the character in their scripts and can deliver performances, the actor in me is fuelled by enthusiasm.”
Khan’s closest competitor, friend and actor Ranbir Kapoor, on the other hand is only doing Ayan Mukherjee’s film for Johar’s Dharma Productions, besides exploring diverse genres with films like Imtiaz Ali’s Rockstar, Anurag Basu’s Barfee and a biopic on Kishore Kumar.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.
- Boney Kapoor said that he was fortunate to have 'some of the strongest women in the world' in his life -- late wife Sridevi, and daughters Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor.
- Despite cancelling divorce proceedings, Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife, Aaliya, has said that they aren't yet living with each other.
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra shared a funny and cute video of the two of them to celebrate his wife and an 'amazing role model'.