‘You hire a hero and get a zero’
While talent crunch remains a pressing headache for employers all across, an organisation needs to clearly spell out “in simple words” the growth path of its employees for effective organisational functioning.business Updated: Mar 07, 2012 22:08 IST
While talent crunch remains a pressing headache for employers all across, an organisation needs to clearly spell out “in simple words” the growth path of its employees for effective organisational functioning.
These were conclusions from a panel discussion of experts at the first Hindustan Times-Shine HR Summit, organised by Hindustan Times and Shine.com, HT Media’s job portal.
Panelists at the discussion included HCL Technologies vice-chairman and CEO Vineet Nayar, National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) managing director and CEO Dilip Chenoy, TeamLease Services MD and co-founder Ashok Reddy and DHR International executive vice-president Vikram Chhachhi. Hindustan Times executive editor (business) Gautam Chikermane moderated the session.
“As a parent one is collaborative when dealing with children, yet employers insist on command and control management styles when dealing with employees,” Nayar said. “This needs to change for effective organisational functioning. He stressed upon the need to hire low-profile employees with high aspirations. “You hire a hero and get a zero,” he said.
“The industry needs to ensure that it works in tandem to create a talent pool to draw talented individuals from,” Chenoy said. “There is an urgent need to have people who are ready to work from first hour on their first day.”
Reddy elaborated the need to correct the existing mismatch between the supply of talent and demand. “Only 5% fresh graduates are directly employable in an industry,” he said. “An element of fitment needs to be developed for the remaining 95% employees.”
According to Chhachhi there exists a huge gap for good professionals in India. He, however, favoured the idea of job rotation within an organisation. “Job rotation is a good idea such that employees know what track to follow in their careers,” he said.