J-K govt reviewing amnesty for 1,524 people, says Omar
The Jammu and Kashmir government today said it is examining under its amnesty scheme the cases of 1,524 people allegedly involved in stone-pelting during the 2010 summer unrest in the Kashmir Valley.chandigarh Updated: Feb 25, 2012 10:53 IST
The Jammu and Kashmir government on Friday said it is examining under its amnesty scheme the cases of 1,524 people allegedly involved in stone-pelting during the 2010 summer unrest in the Kashmir Valley.
The 228 cases are being examined and orders for their withdrawal if falling within the ambit of the scheme are likely to be issued in the near future chief minister Omar Abdullah said on Friday.
In a written reply to a question by PDP MLA Peerzada Mansoor Hussain in the Assembly the CM said the amnesty scheme was launched on August 28 last year for youths and first-time offenders who were not involved in serious cases of crime during the unrest.
However no amnesty will be given to persons involved in heinous offences or in causing arson and damage to the public property he said adding that those found involved in such incidents after August 28 will also be out of the purview of this scheme.
Omar further said the initiative was launched to ensure that bureaucratic hurdles do not hamper their future prospects when it comes to applying for government jobs passport loans for education and self-employment or for pursuing higher education.
The CM also said that as many as 1,524 persons involved in 228 cases of stone-pelting have been prosecuted so far and probe is on in another 174 cases involving 1,180 persons.
First Published: Feb 24, 2012 18:46 IST