Tragedy averted as PGI OT light comes loose
A major tragedy was averted at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, on Friday when an operation theatre (OT) light came loose during a surgery procedure.
The alertness of the OT staff prevented a mishap and the patient scheduled for the surgery was saved.
According to sources in the PGIMER, Kavita, a patient of the orthopedics department, was to undergo a spine surgery in the main operation theatre on the fourth floor of Nehru Hospital. Kavita was shifted from Advanced Trauma Centre and was admitted with a spinal injury.
Two surgeons, Dr Devendra Kumar Chauhan and Dr Sarbdeep Singh, were about to start the operation around 1.45pm when the OT light under which the surgery was to be performed suddenly started shaking. The OT staff noticed it in the nick of time and prevented the light from falling on the patient. As a result, the surgery was cancelled and the patient was removed from the OT.
The OT light, it may be mentioned, is quite heavy and can cause irreversible damage in case of an accident. PGIMER officials revealed that such an incident has never occurred in the history of the institute. Sources revealed that the light was installed around a year back as part of the project to modernise and renovate the Nehru Hospital and had cost around Rs 50 lakh. The OT staff managed to save the light also from damage.
PGI's official spokesperson Manju Wadwalkar confirmed that there was no loss or damage. "The company, which installed the light, has been informed and it is for them to take action," she said.