Delhi air quality in poor category, significant improvement unlikely
Delhi’s air quality remained in the poor category with an air quality index of 288 on Monday, according to Sameer app of Central Pollution Control Board. An AQI of 301 to 400 puts the air quality in very poor category. AQI is likely to hover in “poor” to “very poor” category over Delhi and other parts of northwest India due to calm winds in the evening, which slow down dispersal of pollutants.
“Wind speed during the day was around 10kmph but in the evening, it will be mostly calm. This is why we are not seeing any improvement in air quality. We are unlikely to record any significant improvement in the coming days either,” said VK Soni, scientist at India Meteorological Department (IMD)’s air quality division.
Baghpat, Bulandshahr, Ghaziabad, Moradabad, Meerut also recorded “very poor” air quality on Monday.
“As February is coming to an end we are expecting a rise in both maximum and minimum temperatures. Maximum temperature is likely to be 30 to 31 degrees Celsius while minimum is likely to be 12 to 13 degrees Celsius in the next three or four days. A western disturbance is impacting the Western Himalayan region. Once that moves away, there will be a marginal and brief drop in temperatures in the Capital as cold northwesterly winds will be blowing, but otherwise its likely to get warmer now,” said Kuldeep Shrivastava, head, regional weather forecasting centre.
On Monday , Delhi’s maximum temperature was 28.9 degrees Celsius, 4 degrees above normal and minimum temperature was 11 degrees Celsius, 0 degrees above normal.
Under the influence of a fresh western disturbance, widespread rainfall or snowfall is very likely over Jammu, Kashmir, Ladakh, Gilgit, Baltistan and Muzaffarabad; scattered rainfall/snowfall is likely over Himachal Pradesh for next 3 days and fairly widespread rainfall for the subsequent 2 days while scattered rainfall or snowfall is also likely over Uttarakhand during next 5 days.
Thunderstorm or lighting is very likely over Jammu, Kashmir, Ladakh, Gilgit, Baltistan and Muzaffarabad during next 5 days and over Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand during February 23 to 26. Isolated hailstorm is likely over Jammu, Kashmir, Ladakh, Gilgit, Baltistan and Muzaffarabad on February 24 and 25; Himachal Pradesh on February 25 and 26 and over Uttarakhand during February 23 to 26.
Air quality early warning system for Delhi under the ministry of earth sciences had forecast that air quality is likely to be in very poor category on Monday and Tuesday. The predominant surface wind is likely to be coming from west of Delhi with wind speed 05-15 kmph, mainly clear sky and mist or shallow fog in the morning on February 23.
Meanwhile, IMD said dense to very dense fog was observed in isolated pockets over Delhi, and the visibility remained 500 metres in most parts of the city.
On Sunday too, the AQI was recorded in poor category at 295. The average air quality was recorded in the poor category across Ghaziabad, Noida, Greater Noida, Faridabad and Gurgaon as well, according to data issued by a government agency on Sunday. According to CPCB’s Sameer app, AQI was 260 in Ghaziabad, 300 in Greater Noida, 251 in Noida, 264 in Faridabad and 297 in Gurugram.
(With agency inputs)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- As part of their investigation, police have till date arrested 1,753 persons, which includes 820 Hindus and 933 Muslims.
- The accused man, 30-year-old Sujeet Kumar, remains hospitalised and the police are waiting for him to recover before they pursue “suitable action” against him.
- A bench of justice Vipin Sanghi and justice Rekha Palli also asked the members of the striking union to not put under siege the municipal corporation or throw garbage on the streets.
- Manish Sisodia also interacted with students enrolled in the course to know their experiences.
- Jai Prakash, north Delhi mayor, said that all efforts of the municipal agencies this winter were focused to control local pollution sources.
- No Delhi police officer commented on the incident on record, but senior police officers aware of the development said on condition of anonymity that the two men who were on the target, are lodged in Tihar for their role in the northeast Delhi violence.
- Like several other curious onlookers, the boy too was watching the earthmover in action when the mishap took place, the police said.
- Considering the possibility of quitting this occupation, he observes that “one of the good things of being an auto driver is that all your income is made in hard cash.
- The last, which has a weight of almost one-third in the rankings, is a completely subjective parameter.
- The Bihari Puraskar is one of the three literary awards instituted by the KK Birla Foundation in 1991.
- It also asked the Centre why it was donating or selling Covid-19 vaccines to foreign countries at a time when the drive to inoculate Indian citizens was not optimised.