Dera Bassi robbery accused lands in Khanna police net
The Khanna police on Wednesday arrested a 25-year-old man accused of robbing another of ₹6.5 lakh at gunpoint in Dera Bassi.
The police have recovered two cartridges from the accused, Gurpreet Singh alias Peeta alias Giani of Cheema village in Payal. Police said his accomplices, Kulwinder Singh alias Honey, Amritpal Singh alias Lali and Amanpreet Singh alias Amna of Ramgarh road in Sahnewal, managed to escape.
The police arrested Gurpreet from a vacant plot in Utalan village following a tip-off. According to the police, the accused were hatching a conspiracy to execute another robbery.
Khanna senior superintendent of police (SSP) Gursharandeep Singh Grewal said the accused had robbed a man of ₹6.5 lakh on January 3 at gunpoint on the road from Mubarikpur to Dera Bassi. “A case was registered against them at the Dera Bassi police station the same day,” the SSP said.
The accused told the police that he received ₹50,000 as his share, which he spent on food, movies and new clothes. He also told the police that the weapons used in the crime were with his accomplices.
The SSP added that a case under Sections 25, 54, 59 of the Arms Act was registered against the accused at the Samrala police station. He said the accused have at least five cases of snatching, robbery and drug peddling against them at various police stations. “A hunt is on for the arrest of his accomplices,” the SSP said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Ramesh Jarkiholi resigned from the Karnataka cabinet demanding an investigation
- The report said of the 5,435 responses from citizens and survey, 437 cases were related to potholes and bad roads. The rest 4,998 cases were related to footpaths
- Hiren’s body was spotted stuck amid the silt of the creek by a fisherman at 10.30 am on Friday. The police established his identity only late in the afternoon.
- Another high court bench of justice Ashutosh Kumar also granted relief to 10 other police personnel on February 4, this year, ordering their reinstatement.
- This evening he is stationed beside a zebra crossing in Connaught Place, standing amid a continuous motion of shoppers going about in all directions.