Faf du Plessis’ ball-tampering appeal to be heard by ICC on December 19
Faf du Plessis was fined 100 percent of his match fee after he was charged by the ICC for ball-tampering during the Hobart Test against Australia.cricket Updated: Dec 06, 2016 17:34 IST
The International Cricket Council (ICC) will hear South African Faf du Plessis’ appeal against ball tampering on December 19.
The governing body said Michael Beloff QC will be appointed as the judicial commissioner and will hear the appeal from the stand-in South Africa skipper.
The hearing will take place in ICC’s headquarters. Legal counsel for both the ICC and Cricket South Africa will attend the hearing. Du Plessis will join the hearing via a telephone link, an ICC statement said.
- Faf du Plessis was charged with ball-tampering by the ICC during the Hobart Test against Australia
- This is the second time du Plessis has been charged with this offence, the first being in 2013 against Pakistan
- Du Plessis was fined 100 percent of his match fee but avoided a ban
“The ICC will publish the result of the hearing through its usual channels and will not be making any further comment until that time,” the ICC said.
The 32-year-old was found guilty of breaching the ICC’s Code of Conduct for applying an “artificial substance to the ball” in November.
He was caught on camera putting saliva to the ball’s surface while sucking on a sweet during the second Test in Hobart against Australia. South Africa beat Australia in a three-match Test series 2-1.
Du Plessis was found guilty by the ICC and fined his entire match fee from the second Test, but he avoided a ban for the third Test, and Cricket South Africa confirmed they would appeal the verdict last month.
First Published: Dec 06, 2016 17:32 IST