Congress, BJP MLAs fight during public hearing on Pancheshwar project
Congress MLA from Dharchula Harish Dhami and BJP’s Didihat MLA Bishen Singh Chufal on Friday entered into a fight during a public hearing on the Pancheshwar dam in Pithoragarh.
Both of them pushed each other leading to tension among their supporters.
Later, Dhami sat on a fast unto death demanding that the public hearing should be held at the Nyay Panchayat level and not at the blcok level so that the people’s grievances can be gauged in a genuine manner.
He said he would break the fast only when the administration assures him of accepting his demand.
Uttarakhand Kranti Dal patron Kashi Singh Aeri was also allegedly pushed out of the hall by the BJP supporters.
During the public hearing on the Pancheshwar hydro power project at the Vikas Bhavan, Djhami was speaking about grievances of the people from the areas that would come in the submergence zone. He was questioned by a BJP activist which led to a heated altercation.
Dhami then had a fight with BJP MLA Chufal and both of them pushed each other. Dhami alleged that the BJP members have turned the public hearing into a party forum.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The HC found that the civil judge had separated the criminal case in his court filed against the accused without there being any valid reason.
- The demand comes months after the Centre decided to discontinue the Centre for Glaciology project in Uttarakhand.
- Among the six bodies, five were found on Saturday late night while one was found on Sunday morning.
- The men belonged to Ratanpura village under Bazpur police station and were on their way to Garjiya temple of Ramnagar in Nainital.
- The leopard dragged her to the forest area and ate her body parts. Her head was found severed from her body.
- HT spoke to some of the main rescuers and officers on the frontline who are leading and coordinating the search and rescue operations.
- Among the five bodies, three were recovered from the 1.7 kilometre-long Tapovan tunnel at NTPC's hydel power project.
- Locals, traders, among others, expressed their displeasure on restrictions imposed on pilgrims and tourists for Mahakumbh fair.