Denied entry through Sikkim, Mansarovar pilgrims can take Uttarakhand route
The annual Kailash Mansarovar yatra takes place via Pithoragarh in Uttarakhand. According to officials, 13 pilgrims, who were to take Nathu La route, will now join those entering China through Uttarakhanddehradun Updated: Jul 02, 2017 17:50 IST
The Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam Ltd (KMVN) has decided to give preference to Kailash Mansarovar pilgrims who were denied entry from Nathula pass in Sikkim following India-China face-offs over road construction on the borders of a plateau in Bhutan.
The annual Kailash Mansarovar yatra takes place via Pithoragarh in Uttarakhand. According to officials, 13 pilgrims, who were to take Nathu La route, will now join those entering China through Uttarakhand.
“So far 13 pilgrims have expressed interest in taking the route from Uttarakhand. They will be included in the 5th and 6th batches of pilgrims,” said DK Sharma, regional tourism officer of KMVN, the nodal agency for the yatra.
The 5th and 6th batches are yet to leave New Delhi, the starting point of the pilgrimage. Officials said adjustment of the pilgrims, denied entry through Nathu La, depends on vacancies left in forthcoming batches.
Vacancies usually occur if a would-be pilgrim is found to be medically unfit for the arduous trek to Kailash Mansarovar, located at an altitude of 15,160 feet, in Tibet.
The first batch has returned from Kailash Mansarovar. Two more batches are in Tibet and two more batches are on the way.
Officials claimed the pilgrimage from Uttarakhand has been going on smoothly.
“We have not received any complaints from pilgrims indicating the bad unusual behaviour of Chinese authorities with Indian pilgrims going from this way,” said Sharma.
The pilgrimage to Kailash Mansarovar, considered holy by Hindus, Buddhists and Jains, takes place from June to September every year.
First Published: Jun 30, 2017 20:29 IST