Dodging tigress, prowling leopard keep Uttarakhand’s Tanakpur villagers locked up
Even as a tigress has been evading capture after killing two women in Uttarakhand’s Tanakpur area, a leopard has been reported to be prowling in the region and is suspected to have killed a few animals.
According to Thawalkhera villagers, the leopard entered Nathu Singh Mahar’s cowshed earlier this week and killed a calf. Prior to that, it had killed two more animals in the vicinity.
Panicked villagers are locking themselves inside their houses after sunset as Thawalkhera village head, Satish Pandey asked forest officials to catch the leopard.
Forest officials, however, have been caught with a tigress that had killed two women of Boragoth and Kakrali Gate villages in the region. Despite installing cameras and laying a trap, they have been unable to capture it.
Two women’s effigies—because the tigress killed women—were put up with buffalo and goat meat inside an open cage to lure the tigress, but the animal has not come anywhere close.
On April 25, the tigress killed a woman named Radha Devi when she went inside the forests to fetch firewood. A month prior to this, the same tigress had reportedly killed another woman when she went into the forests for fodder.
The attacks, including the ones by the leopard, have caused panic among villagers. Forest officials have advised villagers to take preventive measures—including restrictions on going deep inside the forest for firewood and fodder and leaving their houses after sunset—to avoid conflicts with the animal.
Khyali Ram Arya, Ranger, Sharda forest range, said, “As of now, we are entirely focused on catching the tigress. It has already killed two and is likely to make another similar attempt.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Congress leader Suryakant Dhasmana said that CM's statement invoking the markaz's name was very irresponsible and was aimed at deflecting attention from the failures of the government.
- The mega fair will be held from February 27-April 30 with six Shahi Snaans or auspicious baths.
- This Integrated Command Control Centre will be the core centre for railway management during Mahakumbh fair.
- She was nominated to symbolically take over as the DM of the district for a day.
- So far, deaths of hens have been reported from poultry farms in Udham Singh Nagar and Tehri Garhwal districts.
- The SOP was issued by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on January 22 but was made public on Sunday.
- Chief minister Trivendra Singh Rawat said nominating Goswami as the chief minister of child assembly for a day was a matter of pride.
- Goswami wants to give her inputs on the agriculture sector to the state government while she is holds the chief minister's post.
- Kumbh Mela office in charge said the festival is being organised on the lines of the Odisha Sand Art Festival.
- So far 6,119 health workers have been vaccinated in the state. A total of 1,882 health workers were vaccinated on Tuesday in 34 sessions across the state.
- The visitors are commending the concept of the cafe and sharing their tales with of heartbreak.
- Uttarakhand BJP leaders and ministers have been asked to tour their respective districts and areas and interact with party workers and people there.