Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 20, 2019-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

‘Abducted’ man chopped into pieces, stuffed inside septic tank in Dwarka

The victim, Sachin Yadav, was an employee of a furniture store. During interrogation, the accused admitted that he and his brother-in-law had abducted Yadav so that they could get Rs 50 lakh.

delhi Updated: May 25, 2018 12:01 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
crimes in Delhi,abduction,abducted for ransom
The victim was kept at a haunted house in Dwarka and was strangled to death when he tried to escape.(Getty Images/iStockphoto)

Delhi Police Wednesday arrested two persons for allegedly killing a 21-year-old who had gone missing from his residence in Baba Haridas Nagar in South West Delhi on May 12.

Police said that after killing him, the accused — 26-year-old Varun and his brother-in-law Rituraj alias Vicky (24) -- chopped his body up and hid the pieces at a septic tank inside a haunted house in Dwarka.

Police said the victim, identified as Sachin Yadav, was an employee of a furniture store. On May 12, Yadav left home for work early in the morning. When he did not return till late in the night, his parents informed police staff in the area. The next day, a missing complaint was registered.

Shibesh Singh, Deputy Commissioner of Police, (Dwarka), said that even though the search operation had begun, no leads could be found till parents of the missing youth received a ransom call from their son’s phone number later that day, wherein the caller demanded Rs 50 lakh. The couple informed Delhi Police, who, in turn, traced the call.

Singh said, “The caller demanded Rs 50 lakh ransom to release Yadav. When surveillance was mounted, we found that the calls were made from the Delhi-Haryana border. The callers even asked Yadav’s parents to come to a secluded stretch in Majnu Ka Tilla in North Delhi with the money. However, sensing police presence, they themselves did not turn up.”

Singh added that another police team was, at the same time, scanning the numbers of people who were in touch with Yadav before he went missing. After thorough search, police zeroed in on Varun, who was Yadav’s colleague at the furniture shop.

“We found that Varun had not reported to work since May 12. He had also not been staying at his rented accommodation since that day. We then asked the victim’s family to contact Varun so that his call location could be traced. However, he did not take any of their calls. Further inquiry revealed that Varun hails from Muzaffarpur in Bihar. A police team was rushed to his village to nab him,” the officer said.

While raiding his village, the police team found out that Varun has been staying at his in-laws’ place. “A raid was conducted. Varun and his brother-in-law were arrested,” Singh said.

During interrogation, Varun told police that he knew Yadav’s father owns properties across Delhi as well as their village. “He admitted that he and his brother-in-law had abducted Yadav so that they could get Rs 50 lakh. However, Yadav tried to escape from the haunted house in Dwarka, where they had kept him. Agitated, Varun and Vicky strangled him to death. They then severed his body into pieces and stuffed it inside a septic tank at the haunted house,” the DCP said.

First Published: May 25, 2018 11:59 IST