Bluelines now face High Court heat
The Delhi government gets acting on rogue Blueline buses, fiercely impounding them and promising safer roads to the people.Updated: Jul 11, 2007 04:15 IST
The Delhi government on Tuesday got acting on rogue Blueline buses, fiercely impounding them and promising safer roads to the people. But all of it perhaps came a little too late. The Delhi High Court now wants it to explain the inaction so far against the private-run bus fleet that has caused 60 deaths this year.
The court on Tuesday expressed shock at the increasing number of accidents involving the buses. “(Drivers of) these vehicles are known to be indulging in reckless driving posing a constant danger to the life of commuters. But in spite of the public outcry, no effective deterrent action appears to have been taken,” a division bench of justices Mukul Mudgal and PK Bhasin said.
The court issued a notice to the government and the transport ministry after taking suo motu cognizance of news reports, including that of HT, on the spurt in accidents. It asked for a reply by July 31 as to why the buses should not be replaced by a safer public transport system. Touching on allegations that several errant buses had been let off lightly as they were owned by policemen, the court said: “We also want to know how many of the Blueline buses are owned by family members and relatives of Delhi Police personnel.”
The government was also asked to state what action had been taken against rash drivers and errant bus owners since 2005, and against those violating the 40 kmph speed limit.