Decision to hang Ajmal Kasab was taken on Nov 8: Shinde
Pakistan was informed before Ajmal Amir Kasab was hanged as per international protocol, highly places sources said Wednesday after the lone surviving Pakistani terrorist caught in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack was executed at Pune's Yerawada jail.
Pakistan had also been told about an address that Kasab had given, the sources said.
Earlier in the morning, union home minister Sushilkumar Shinde said President Pranab Mukherjee had rejected Kasab's mercy petition on Nov 5.
"Pakistan has been informed but there is no demand for Kasab's body. The president rejected Kasab's mercy petition on November 5. I had further forwarded it to the Maharashtra government on November 8 and it was finalised on that day that Kasab would be hanged Nov 21 at 7.30 am," Shinde said.
On being asked why secrecy was maintained, Shinde said, "Such matters have to be kept secret but as I had said earlier that we will do the needful whenever we get the papers (from the president) and we have done it," he added.
In Mumbai, Maharashtra's home minister RR Patil said, "This is a tribute to all the innocent people and police officers who lost their lives in the heinous attack on our nation."
Kasab, who was hanged at Pune's Yerawada Jail on Wednesday morning, was amongst the 10 Pakistani terrorists who sneaked into Mumbai on the night of Nov 26, 2008. The Nov 26-29, 2008 terror siege had killed 166 people and injured 300.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The CPCB report released on Sunday said that there are over 112 sites in India that are contaminated by toxic and hazardous substances.
- An infection is said to be endemic in a population when it is constantly maintained at a baseline level in a geographic area.
- The BJP dismissed the allegations as “baseless” and hit back, saying that the AAP should answer why the construction of the Signature bridge in north-east Delhi faced delays.
- Appropriate allocation of funds in this regard will be made in the upcoming Delhi budget that is likely to be presented this week, he added .
- In February that year, just before Holi, he went back to the Sadar Bazar trader with the water gun he had produced and also the Chinese one.
- Experts said such initiatives will ensure that the only continuous green space in the national capital is preserved.
- A host of functions to honour women have also been scheduled at different police stations and DCP offices.
- Adesh Gupta has also started ‘mandal pravas’ (stay in each municipal wards) to connect with the party workers and supporters.
- As part of the revamp, new CCTV cameras, with better technology for improved clarity, additional escalators, bird spikes to prevent tripping of the overhead electrification (OHE) due to bird menace, were also installed.
- The Panth Ratan Baba Harban Singh Ji Dialysis block in Bala Sahib hospital complex started treating patients from Sunday