Govt refutes claims by 26/11 commando
A day after Ajmal Kasab was hanged for his role in the 26/11 terror attacks, former NSG commando Surender Singh on Thursday alleged that he along with many of his colleagues did not get the financial benefits promised to him. Singh, supported by India Against Corruption leader Arvind Kejriwal, said he has not got a single penny from the government as pension.
Singh was part of the team that went inside the Taj Mahal Hotel and secured it after killing the terrorists. He was removed from the service after being declared medically unfit to serve since he had sustained severe injuries in the attack.
The government, however, rejected the allegations. “The individual (Singh) in question has been paid Rs. 31 lakh by the Maharashtra government and the government of India. I believe that he also received Rs. 25,000, which is in the form of a war injury pension,” said union information and broadcasting minister Manish Tewari.
An army spokesperson dismissed the charges that Singh had been given a raw deal. He said there might have been some delay in calculating his pension as medical boards had to determine the level of his disability. Singh has already been paid R19 lakh due to him and an amount of Rs. 11 lakh will be paid soon,” he said. Singh and Kejriwal, however, countered the claim.
“I’m not fighting just for myself but also for my colleagues who are still in service,” Singh said.
“I have not got a single paisa as pension. I am spending my own money for treatment. I was given a certificate acknowledging my contribution but that too was unsigned. I returned it to get it signed but haven’t received the signed copy yet. I have not received a single penny other than the R4 lakh (which includes R2.5 lakh from the union government),” Singh said.
Interestingly, the denial to Singh’s claims was tweeted by the Press Information Bureau as the charges were being levelled during a press conference.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- As part of their investigation, police have till date arrested 1,753 persons, which includes 820 Hindus and 933 Muslims.
- The accused man, 30-year-old Sujeet Kumar, remains hospitalised and the police are waiting for him to recover before they pursue “suitable action” against him.
- A bench of justice Vipin Sanghi and justice Rekha Palli also asked the members of the striking union to not put under siege the municipal corporation or throw garbage on the streets.
- Manish Sisodia also interacted with students enrolled in the course to know their experiences.
- Jai Prakash, north Delhi mayor, said that all efforts of the municipal agencies this winter were focused to control local pollution sources.
- No Delhi police officer commented on the incident on record, but senior police officers aware of the development said on condition of anonymity that the two men who were on the target, are lodged in Tihar for their role in the northeast Delhi violence.
- Like several other curious onlookers, the boy too was watching the earthmover in action when the mishap took place, the police said.
- Considering the possibility of quitting this occupation, he observes that “one of the good things of being an auto driver is that all your income is made in hard cash.
- The last, which has a weight of almost one-third in the rankings, is a completely subjective parameter.
- The Bihari Puraskar is one of the three literary awards instituted by the KK Birla Foundation in 1991.
- It also asked the Centre why it was donating or selling Covid-19 vaccines to foreign countries at a time when the drive to inoculate Indian citizens was not optimised.