Hoax caller wanted to teach cops a lesson
Forty-five years old Kanta Prasad Sahai, a former gas cylinder supplier, wanted to be a police informer, reports HT Correspondent.Updated: Sep 09, 2009, 22:56 IST
Forty-five years old Kanta Prasad Sahai, a former gas cylinder supplier, wanted to be a police informer.
On August 6, two men involved in illegally refilling LPG cylinders on the roof of Shastri Bhavan were arrested on Sahai’s information. Police also seized 29 gas cylinders then.
Sahai reportedly started making frivolous calls after that.
When the police refused to take his services anymore, Sahai decided to teach them a lesson.
He made ten calls to the police control room (PCR) on Tuesday claiming that bombs had been placed at two metro stations, three governments buildings, two railway stations and two hospitals in the city sending more than 200 policemen on a wild goose chase.
All the calls were declared to be hoax after extensive search. All the calls were tracked to two public phone booths at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital (RML).
On Wednesday, Sahai returned to RML Hospital from where he made the hoax calls a day ago only to be detained this time.
“We detained Sahai when he was making the second call to the PCR. He made the first call at 3.07 pm which got disconnected. Despite having a mobile phone, he came to the phone booth again 20 minutes later and this time he asked the PCR for the number of joint commissioner of police- crime,” said Shankar Dash, additional commissioner of police (New Delhi). “We detained him and he could not explain his position inside the hospital premises.”
He had even paid a visit to the DCP’s office two months ago.
So, when the police detained him on Thursday they were not surprised, as he was a familiar face. Police seized a diary containing the phone numbers of several senior police officers from the possession of Sahai.
A resident of Najafgarh, Sahai was jobless for the past few months. A native of Gorakhpur in eastern Uttar Pradesh he is married and his family lives in Gorakhpur.
Police said he was their prime suspect and would take legal action against him after taking permission from a city magistrate on Thursday. He was let off after questioning on Wednesday evening.
Police said he wanted to settle scores with his relatives and most of his calls before this pertained to crime involving his kin. “We will collect his voice samples after taking the permission of the court. There is a requirement to do so as it is a non-cognisable offence,” he said.
“He has no relatives or friends admitted at RML. He came there only to make the hoax calls. He got thrilled at people and police running around after making the call. He did it for cheap thrill,” the official claimed.
Police had deployed personnel in plainclothes near the telephone booth from where at least 11 calls, which included five calls that got disconnected, were made yesterday claiming that bombs were placed in prominent places.