15 new central universities by next academic session
At least 15 more central universities, in addition to the existing 20, will be set up and start functioning from next year, the government said Thursday.
The decision was taken at a two-day conference here during which vice-chancellors of the 15 new central universities presented their plans before the University Grants Commission (UGC) - the regulator of these institutions. The conference ended Thursday.
The government appointed the vice-chancellors in February.
The VCs met here for the first time to prepare a roadmap for making the 15 new central universities functional from the 2010-11 session.
Of the 15 institutions, 12 are new central universities in as many states, while three state universities have been upgraded.
The new universities are in Jharkhand, Karnataka, Bihar, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir, Orissa, Kerala, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu.
The new VCs have assured UGC that they would be able to start courses in their institutions.
"Most of them have been given land. They are expected to start certain courses from the coming session," said a UGC official.
The universities would offer under-graduate, post-graduate, M.Phil and Ph.D programmes, besides courses on regional issues, said the UGC official.
The UGC has already sanctioned nearly Rs.2 crore to each of these universities to meet their operational expenditure. Most of the universities are expected to start with a temporary campus. Some already have temporary campuses, said the UGC official.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The results of Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) main 2021 first session exams were announced by the National Testing Agency (NTA) on Monday, March 8.
- JEE main results 2021: Candidates who have appeared in the JEE Main 2021 February session examination can check their results online at jeemain.nta.nic.in.
- The National Testing Agency (NTA) has announced the results of Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) main 2021 examination.
- JEE Main February result 2021: Once the results are out, candidates who have appeared in the JEE Main 2021 February session examination will be able to check their results online at jeemain.nta.nic.in.
- Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) on Monday, March 8 released the revised schedule for ICSE and ISC 2021 examinations
- Most of the top positions were bagged by girls.
- The Himachal Pradesh committee of the Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) will hold a statewide strike on March 9 for the appointment of Anganwadi workers in the pre-primary classes.
- On Sunday, teachers from different colleges also alleged that they have not been paid regular salary since 2019 and said that nearly 1,200 teachers at these colleges were finding it difficult to make ends meet.
- Jammu and Kashmir Board of School Education on Monday declared class 12 annual 2020 (Regular) Kashmir division results in which 82% students passed.