Control your time
Run, run, run. Get this and that done. Life is a rollercoaster. It just seems like one is going from pillar to post in search of happiness, satisfaction and contentment. But those very things elude us. Why is that so?
Somewhere we all seem to have forgotten that life is for living and not for running around. It’s about stopping, observing and revelling in the glories of our life and not just finishing one task and then the next and then the next. It is more about managing time effectively. Nothing more. How does one do that?
Balance is the key
Life is about balance. Balance in everything is what makes this entire universe operate. It has to be between work and fun activities as well. If you wish to achieve a balance, begin by estimating how much we can achieve in a particular amount of time. Then try and strike a balance. It makes life easier to handle.
Knowing yourself is an essential component of time management. You will be able to utilise your time well only by knowing what you can and cannot do. If there is something you know is beyond your abilities, knowledge and skills, then do not hesitate in seeking advice and help. That would surely save you a lot of time and distress at not being able to complete tasks.
Have realistic expectations from yourself. Match your work with your skills and abilities. Do not impose tough demands on you. Instead, have a realistic understanding of what you can and cannot do and assess your capability to achieve something accordingly.
Go for smaller portions
Sometimes looking at a task in its entirety can deter you from completing it as it may overwhelm you. To avoid this, break the task into small manageable portions. Handle and finish one thing at time, ultimately reaching your whole goal.
Learn to schedule
Develop your work schedule and function according to it. Again be realistic in the number of things that you put on your plate. Start small at first, and then improvise on your schedule to add more things as you get used to it. Chalk out exactly how much time you have for each activity and then proceed accordingly.
Set your private deadlines such that work can be accomplished quickly.
The author is a psychiatrist, and chief, Department of Mental Health and Behavioural Sciences, Max Healthcare
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Bihar Public Service Commission (BPSC) has issued a notification (advt. no. 03/2021) for recruitment of Child Development Project Officer (CDPO) under Social Welfare Department.
- Less than ten days after the University of Mumbai released a circular asking colleges to conduct exams for first year post graduate batches by March 10, the varsity released another circular postponing the deadline to March 30, giving colleges a breather.
- The Bihar government on Tuesday admitted in the state assembly that the enrolment of students in the government and government-aided schools had declined by 40 lakh in 2018-19 compared to 2014-15.
- The recruitment examinations include the West Bengal Civil Service exam, West Bengal Audit, and Accounts Service exam, and West Bengal Civil Service main exam 2020.
- AIIMS INI CET July 2021 Session: Interested and eligible candidates can apply for the INI-CET 2021 examination online at aiimsexams.org on or before March 31, 2021, until 5 pm.