Farmer father, labourer mother proud of son’s IIT-JEE (Advanced) success
Kota: For Bhairulal, the lack of even the most basic of facilities in his village in Rajasthan was no deterrent in his path to crack the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Advanced 2017.
Bhairulal, who belongs to a modest farmer’s family of Aarjiya in Rajasthan’s Bhilwara district, secured All India Rank (AIR) 1,143 in Other Backward Caste (OBC) category and AIR 6,750 in general category in JEE (Advanced).
The 18-year-old said he could succeed in the tough entrance exam - conducted for admission to various engineering colleges, including the premier Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) - because of the support from his parents who had never been to school.
“My father, Gopal Lal Jat, used to cultivate five bighas of agricultural land and sell milk from a couple of buffaloes and my mother, Seema Devi, worked as a National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) labourer in the village for some years to help earn bread and butter (for the family) and to educate me,” he said.
The journey from seeking primary education to qualifying JEE Advanced was not an easy one for Bhairulal. He studied in a primary school in the village before going to Kota, the city known as the coaching capital of the country.
“After I scored 88% marks in Class 10, an engineering graduate from my village, Ghanshyam Vaishnav, suggested that I take coaching for IIT-JEE from Kota. Later, two years ago, my school teachers took me to Kota ,” Bhairulal, who spent most of his life in a mud house, said.
He has completed Class 11 and 12 from a private school in Kota and scored 83% marks in Class 12 under the Rajasthan Board of Secondary Education last year.
“I took admission in Allen Career Institute of Kota for coaching of IIT-JEE which provided 50% concession in my fees,” he added.
Allen Career Institute’s director Naveen Maheshwari said the institute always made it a point to support students such as Bhairulal, who despite adversities wanted to seek quality education.
Bhairulal now wants to pursue a course in mechanical or computer science engineering at one of the IITs.
“After doing a BTech from IIT, I will take the UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) exam and if I am able to achieve my goal then I will encourage other kids from village to seek education,” he said.
Bhairulal said his family’s financial condition has improved in the last couple of years after his uncle and mother started helping on the farm and his father bought more cattle. His parents have built a cemented house as well, he said.
Hopefully, he says, his brothers, Mahaveer and Rahul who are studying in Class 10 and 12, will not face the kind of difficulties he had to endure.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BHU SET 2021: Interested and eligible candidates can apply for the BHU SET 2021 examination online at bhuonline.in on or before March 31, 2021.
- CBSE, ICSE and many other state boards have announced the dates for board examinations and students appearing in the exams must be a anxious lot by now.
- GATE answer key 2021: Candidates who have appeared in the GATE 2021 examination can raise objections against the GATE answer key 2021, if any, by providing appropriate representations online at gate.iitb.ac.in.
- CISF Tradesman Constable admit card 2021: Candidates who have registered for the CISF Tradesman Constable recruitment examination 2021 can download their admit cards online at cisfrectt.in.
- NTA UGC NET December 2020: Interested and eligible candidates can apply for the UGC NET 2020 examination online at ugcnet.nta.nic.in.
- JEE Main 2021 March session: Interested and eligible candidates can apply for JEE mains 2021 March session online at jeemain.nta.nic.in on or before March 6, 2021.
- JEE main answer key 2021: Candidates who have appeared in the JEE Mains 2021 examination can check their answer key online at jeemain.nta.nic.in.
- The IIMC Alumni Association announced winners of the 5th IFFCO IIMCAA Awards during the annual alumni meet – Connections 2021, held on Sunday at IIMC HQ in New Delhi.