Australian paper shows Kate Middleton's bare bottom, sparks debate
One of Rupert Murdoch's Australian newspapers on Wednesday published a picture showing the bare bottom of Prince William's wife
, refusing to follow a "ridiculous" ban imposed by the British media.
The image was taken during the royal couple's hugely successful tour of Australia in April when they showed off their infant son George, and was run in the Sydney Daily Telegraph a day after it appeared in German tabloid Bild, which declared she had a "beautiful bum".
It shows the Duchess of Cambridge's blue and white summer dress lifted by a gust of wind when the royal couple got out of a helicopter in the Blue Mountains, 80 kilometres west of Sydney.
The Daily Telegraph said British newspapers had refused to run the photo out of respect to the royals, but in a comment piece said this was "an antiquated code of etiquette" under the headline "My bare lady: Derri-heir to the throne is fair game."
"It seems a bit ridiculous to expect the rest of the world's media to follow suit, particularly in a world in which flesh and commercialism go hand in hand," said Telegraph social writer Annette Sharp.
"If the Duchess can't be bothered protecting herself by having hem weights sewn into her garments, why should the media protect her?"
The Duchess is no stranger to wardrobe malfunctions and struggled to control the hem of her red dress as she stepped off a plane in New Zealand ahead of her Australian tour.
Diane Morel, a Blue Mountains local, took the Australian photo and almost deleted it before realising what she had captured.
"It wasn't until I got home and I popped my camera card into the computer that I realised what I had captured," the 47-year-old told the newspaper, vowing to donate any money raised from the photo's sale to a bushfire relief fund.
It is not the first time Australian media has abandoned royal protocols with two radio presenters causing outrage in 2012 when they duped a nurse at the hospital treating Prince William's pregnant wife into giving them details about her morning sickness condition.
The nurse who fielded the call later killed herself.
William and Kate have faced numerous battles in the past to protect their privacy by preventing the publication of photographs.
In one of the most famous cases in 2012, French magazine Closer provoked outrage among the royals and sections of the British press when it published paparazzi photos of a topless Kate.
The royals took legal action and French authorities promptly banned Closer from any use or resale of the offending pictures, the most intimate of which showed the duchess topless and having suncream rubbed into her buttocks by William.
The Telegraph argued those photos were taken while the duchess was at a private chateau, but the Blue Mountains picture was on a public street.
"There is a very clear distinction between private and public property," it said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In an interview with Hindustan Times, Sharib Hashmi talks about The Family Man season 2, the experience of working with Kangana Ranaut on Dhaakad and more.
- Rubina Dilaik cheered for Tony Kakkar and Aly Goni as the music video of Tera Suit released but did not tag Jasmin Bhasin. Rubina and Jasmin's relationship soured on Bigg Boss 14.
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Even though Prince Harry and Meghan Markle admitted to having watched Netflix's The Crown, the show's creator, Peter Morgan, had previously said that he has no intention of telling their story on the series.
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.