Bollywood actors cheer up children with blood disorder
Ahead of World Thalassemia Day, Bollywood actors Irrfan Khan, Sonali Kulkarni and Sonu Sood, joined underprivileged children affected with the blood disorder, in Mumbai.
The actors shared some time with the kids and also distributed gifts and watched a film along with them.
The function was organised by a voluntary group, We Care Trust, that works for the prevention of Thalassemia.
Khan urged people to undergo a test for Thalassemia.
"Everyone, before marriage and during pregnancy, should undergo a test for Thalassemia because if you are infected with this disease then your kids would suffer more than you. Kids usually have a shorter life span and they usually died before the age of 14 or 15. Therefore, it is imperative to undergo a test for Thalassemia," he said on the sidelines of the function.
Thalassemia is a genetic blood disorder, which affects a person''s hemoglobin and cause anemia-low levels of red blood cells.
Besides being a psychological and emotional trauma, the Thalassemia also poses a huge financial burden for the family. The process of removing excessive iron costs dearly to families with limited financial resources.
Sonali Kulkarni hailed the efforts of family members in bringing up children suffering from Thalassemia.
"To bring up such child without making him or her feel that they are a burden on family is very difficult. To look after such kids and to be happy with them is extremely difficult for parents. I feel that parents of these kids deserve a loud clap," Kulkarni said.
An estimated 40 million Indians suffer from this blood disease with more than 8,000 Thalassemia-affected births recorded every year in India.
India also has the highest number, more than 20 million, Thalassemia carriers
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Bigg Boss 14's Jasmin Bhasin issue a clarification on Twitter after Rubina Dilaik's fans attacked her. Fans associated her tweet on Sunday about manipulative people with the Bigg Boss 14 winner.
- Amitabh Bachchan took to social media wish all on International Women's Day. He also said everyday was Women's Day, in his eyes.
- The Critics Choice Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday. Nomadland bagged four awards while late Chadwick Boseman received a posthumous award for Best Actor for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
Women’s Day Special | Ekta Kapoor, Guneet Monga and Tahira Kashyap Khurrana: We just want to create better opportunities for women
Bobby Deol: Have never given importance to awards, my father’s been a legend, didn’t get a single Best Actor award
Anupria Goenka: There are many stereotypes attached to women even today in our workplace, pay disparity being one
- Saif Ali Khan's sister Saba on Sunday shared a cute and never-seen-before picture of Taimur Ali Khan. See it here.
- Alia Bhatt is already in birthday spirits. She took to Instagram and revealed she has received a bunch of gifts from director Shashank Khaitan.
- Taapsee Pannu was recently in the news for the I-T raids carried out at her property in Mumbai. The actor has now revealed how her family had reacted to the searches.