Bollywood's epic sagas pin hopes on Jodhaa Akbar
Box office stakes are high on Jodhaa Akbar, the period drama featuring Hrithik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai, which will hit the theatres tomorrow.
The future of several lavish costume dramas scheduled to begin filming in 2008 now depends on the fate of Ashutosh Gowariker's Jodhaa Akbar and the kind of magic it manages to weave at the box office.
It is very simple, really. If UTV's opulent Jodhaa Akbar, estimated at Rs.400 million, fails to work at the box office, all other mega Bollywood ventures based on epics recreating the bygone eras would be aborted.
Period dramas scheduled to go to the floors after Jodhaa-Akbar include two epics by Raj Kumar Santoshi, starring Ajay Devgan, about the lives of Mauryan emperor Ashok and the god-king of Ayodhya, Ram, the hero of the epic Ramayana.
While the crew of the movie on Emperor Ashok (there has been another one before starring Shah Rukh Khan) was supposed to begin shooting in February, the prospect now seems unlikely.
Contrary to rumours that Devgan has decided not to work with Santoshi, the two are planning another project instead of Ashok, if Jodhaa Akbar fails at the box office.
Says Santoshi: "Stories about my professional parting of ways with Ajay are totally unfounded. We're going ahead with all our projects, including Ashok. Ajay and I are in constant discussion and we'll be doing many films together in the future. If that is posing a problem to some people, what can I do?"
Though Raj Kumar Santoshi will not spell it out, he has actually been planning a substitute for Ashok with Devgan, if the funds for the epic do not materialise.
The future of the proposed epic based on Ashok Banker's six-volume Ramayana series also seems uncertain.
Some time ago, the television channels went ballistic with announcements about Banker series being made into movies. The channels said Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai were scheduled to play Ram and Sita. Amitabh Bachchan and Sir Ben Kingsley's names also did the round for the cast.
However, all four actors have individually denied their participation in the project.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Rakhi Sawant's Bigg Boss 14 colleague Vikas Gupta met her mother Jaya Sawant and cheered her up ahead of her cancer operation.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Keerthy Suresh shared an adorable video of her dog Nyke who is first seen running away from a robot vacuum cleaner and is then riding it like a boss.
- Raashi Khanna shared a few pictures from her playtime with her nephew Neil and called him the love and light of her life.
- Miley Cyrus shared a throwback picture of her and singer Nick Jonas. The two Disney alums were rumoured to be dating when they were younger.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.
- Irrfan Khan's son Babil got a detailed message from the actor's The Namesake co-star Kal Penn who said that he wasn't sure how to get in touch with the family to share his love and gratitude.
- Aelay is a fun, sweet film that gets so much right about life in a small village and their tradition but is needlessly long drawn.
- Sara Ali Khan has shared a few adorable pictures with cousin Inaaya Naumi Kemmu (daughter of her aunt Soha Ali Khan) and the two have been called ‘cuteness queens’ by the internet.