Anil Kapoor on response to AK vs AK and big films in hand: It’s a new phase in my career
Anil Kapoor is looking at the current stage in his career as a new phase. With biggies such as Jug Jug Jeeyo and Animal in hand, he says, “Of course. I feel much more exciting things are being offered to me in the last ten years. Young and experienced filmmakers are wanting me in their films, approaching me with scripts and films, which are new age. It’s a great situation to be in. And of course, the most important is that you are getting all the respect as well, professionally and financially, all the boxes are ticked.”
Currently he’s winning praise from all quarters for his performance in the web film AK vs AK, in which he starred alongside Anurag Kashyap. He says that the reactions have been ‘tremendous’. “It’s been overwhelming, and from all over the globe and not just India. Also, picking one best compliment, how do I say it, oh God! There are so many to choose from,” laughs the 64-year-old.
Kapoor plays himself in the film. However, he is quick to add, “I wasn’t playing myself but rather an exaggerated version of myself. Yes it was tough in a way too. It was first of it’s kind, it could have gone completely wrong, there was dark humour. (There were thoughts like) ‘will they get it’, you are making fun of yourself, with direct digs. I am very secure within myself, but you never know till you start working. What the reaction will be, it’s a risk I took, and it’s gone right.”
Having been a big screen hero for 40 years of his life, doing a film meant for OTT platforms must have had come with it’s own set of naysayers. We ask him, and he replies, “Yes, it was the same when I did television series 24. When I went to all heads of channels, they said ‘you are a mainstream, big screen star, why are you doing small screen? You aren’t doing a reality show as a judge, but you are playing the character, why do you have to do it?’”
That it did well is another story. “People still talk about it and ask when is the third season coming,” he adds.
Interact with the author on Twitter/ @RishabhSuri02
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.
- John Abraham and Disha Patani have begun working on their upcoming film, Ek Villain Returns. See pics.
- Tiger Shroff, who turned a year older on Tuesday, was spotted with rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani and his mother Ayesha Dutt on a dinner outing.
- Ankita Lokhande has shared several pictures and videos from a house party she had with Rashami Desai on Monday.
- Shaza Morani and Priyaank Sharma's Hindu wedding ceremony has been postponed, in light of the increase in Covid-19 cases in Maharashtra. The couple and their families and friends are currently in the Maldives.
- Divya Dutta has expressed her displeasure at being labeled as a supporting actor, insisting she loves playing all kinds of roles.
- Actor Parineeti Chopra's long-awaited biopic of badminton ace Saina Nehwal has been given a release date. Watch the first teaser here.
- Actor Ileana D'Cruz was asked during an Instagram Ask Me Anything session if she's ever had any cosmetic surgeries done. Here's what she said.
- Kangana Ranaut says that a new FIR has been registered against her, this time over her tweets on farmers agitation against the farm bills.
- Tara Sutaria shared the first poster of her upcoming movie Tadap. Her boyfriend Aadar Jain shared the poster on his Instagram Stories and expressed his excitement.