Deepak Tijori opens up on filmmaking, acting and more.(Colors)
Deepak Tijori opens up on filmmaking, acting and more.(Colors)

Deepak Tijori reveals he was rejected after auditions, before bagging his role in Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar

• Sharing details of being rejected for a film that eventually turned out to be one of the biggest ones in his career, Deepak Tijori talks about Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar.
By Sweta Kaushal
UPDATED ON FEB 23, 2021 03:29 PM IST

Actor Deepak Tijori has revealed that he was dejected when he did not get selected for Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar after the auditions. However, he added that the entire episode taught him to never lose hope. It is a known fact that Deepak was not the first choice for the antagonist's role in the 1992 film that featured Aamir Khan in the lead role.

Milind Soman had shot some parts of the film before Deepak was brought onboard. Speaking with Hindustan Times in an interview, Deepak said, "I will tell you something I learnt. This should go out to all actors, actors who are going to auditions. Actors who are rejected, and feel dejected and depressed. This was Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar. I was trying very hard for the film and I auditioned and got rejected."

Aamir Khan and Deepak Tijori in a still from Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar.
Aamir Khan and Deepak Tijori in a still from Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar.

He further said, "I kept reading the news that they left for shooting, they started shooting, so and so people are shooting. I was like 'I really wanted this'. Then one day, Bhatt saab (Mahesh Bhatt) calls me up and says 'I need you to do something'."

So, Aamir Khan had told Bhatt saab to ask me to go and talk to Mansoor Khan (writer-director). The film (Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar) was 75% done, 75%. I could not even imagine that this would be anything to do with Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar. Aamir was shooting Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahi at the time. I had no idea. And, then, I went to meet Mansoor saab and found Nasir Hussain (the film's writer). Can you imagine, I get to meet Nasir saab! when Nasir Hussain sits across the table and tells you 'beta, I want you to do this'. (you are overwhelmed). I was like, 'you have already shot the film'. He said 'I know what is happening but I need you to do this'. Then I said I will do whatever you ask me to do."

Elaborating on how it turned out to be his biggest life lesson, Deepak added, "What I did, what the film became..it all happened and I felt that what is supposed to be in your kitty will always come back to you. You should never ever cry for something you lost. You do not lose anything. If it did not come back to you, it was never meant for you. Since then, no matter what I lost in life, I never went through depression and always took it in my stride."

Talking about switching roles between donning the director's hat and being an actor, in front of the camera, Deepak added, "One thing that I do not do is going back at the monitor to check how I looked in a particular shot. I have never done that, and when I worked with Sanju (Sanjay Dutt), we never did those kind of things. We left it to the director if he says okay, it is. If he wants another take, we give it."

"There are times, when we intuitively understand what doubts an actor may be facing on the sets. I once looked at an actor and told her ' are you stuck with what to do with your hands, try this' and she was taken aback. I think being an actor as well as a director makes us more like problem solver on sets . It also helps in becoming a better actor."

"The advantage I have, as someone who has directed films and is acting, is that subconsciously, I tend to edit my work as an actor while performing. In my mind, I often know which part of my take is good and which one is not so much. That benefit we have because we have been editing as directors. I would advice all actors to become directors, it helps in the craft," he added.

He also talked about his most recent project, an ad film for &Prive` HD's new offer of foreign films. "It was a little difficult for me as I did not know anyone on sets except Renuka Shahane. I just asked my makeup man where she is and barged into her van."

In the promotional video, Deepak is seen alongside Renuka and Rohit Saraf. Talking about the concept of bringing foreign films on TV, the actor-filmmaker said, "I have been watching foreign films for a long time, I believed this aspect that languages should not be a problem for cinema. I have watched so many of Rajinikanth sir's films and Telugu films, without subtitles, even when I did not understand the language. I just wanted to see how I understood the film. (For the ad), the difficult part was to memorise the lines as I never learnt a foreign language."

He also opened up on the changes that he has seen in the industry through the years. "When we started working, we used to go for dubbing and we had to wait. If there was one mistake in the dubbing, we had to get the loop back and re-dub the entire thing. Things have now changed. Now everything is easy, you can dub one word, punch it. People who had no voice have become singers, thanks to autotune! This is the best time to be a performer, technician or content creator. You just need to think of something and it can be done."

He also expressed his gratitude at being able to act at a time when there is so much to experiment. "About being back, I am doing things that are so much more now. Things I only envisioned when I was dancing around the trees."

He added jokingly, "My favourite actor was Sanjeev Kumar and now I really love my grey (hair) and I see RK Gupta of Trishul (Sanjeev Kumar's role in the Amitabh Bachchan-starrer film). I am really looking forward to a role like RK Gupta in my career."

"Fortunately now, content is the king. It is no more a restriction that you need to have one star to release or even get to make a film. Content is ruling."

Some of the most recent outings of Deepak include VOOT original series Illegal, ZEE5's Abhay and Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster 3.

Related Stories

As she watched her journey on the show, Nikki Tamboli is shocked to see Rubina Dilaik talk ill about her(Colors)

Bigg Boss 14 day 137: Nikki is shocked to see Rubina talk ill about her

UPDATED ON FEB 20, 2021 11:08 PM IST
  • Bigg Boss 14 Weekend Ka Vaar written update day 137: Nikki Tamboli is shocked to see Rubina Dilaik talk ill about her
Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer will be seen together for a tribute to TV comedy director James Burrows.(Twitter)

Finally! FRIENDS cast to reunite on tribute show for sitcom director

By Reuters, Los Angeles
UPDATED ON JAN 15, 2016 09:02 AM IST
After months of speculations and denial of a reunion, the cast of popular sitcom Friends is all set to come together after 12 years, this February.
Sunny Leone is now living her 'dream life'.
Sunny Leone is now living her 'dream life'.

Sunny Leone, who got hate mails at 21, is now enjoying her 'dream life'

PUBLISHED ON MAR 08, 2021 03:43 PM IST
  • Sunny Leone, in a new video shared on Instagram, gave a glimpse into her journey from being boycotted at awards shows and facing criticism to professional success and personal happiness.
Varun Dhawan is currently shooting for Bhediya in Arunachal Pradesh.
Varun Dhawan is currently shooting for Bhediya in Arunachal Pradesh.

Varun’s fans interrupt Bhediya shoot, he climbs atop car to address them. Watch

PUBLISHED ON MAR 08, 2021 02:57 PM IST
Screaming fans of Varun Dhawan interrupted the shoot of Bhediya in Arunachal Pradesh. He climbed on top of a car to appeal to them to allow shoot to resume. Watch the video here.
Madhuri Dixit with her family members.
Madhuri Dixit with her family members.

Madhuri Dixit wishes son Ryan on his 16th birthday: 'You fill my heart with joy'

PUBLISHED ON MAR 08, 2021 02:39 PM IST
  • Madhuri Dixit took to social media to wish her son Ryan as he turned 16. She also posted pictures of other family members on the occasion.
Ananya Panday marked International Women's Day with pictures of her grandmothers.

Ananya Panday hails her grandmothers on the occasion of Women's Day

PUBLISHED ON MAR 08, 2021 02:38 PM IST
  • Ananya Panday took to social media to share pictures of her grandmothers and celebrated them on the occasion of International Women's Day.
Amitabh Bachchan celebrated all the women in his life on Women's Day.
Amitabh Bachchan celebrated all the women in his life on Women's Day.

Amitabh dedicates Women's Day post to all his beloved women in the family

UPDATED ON MAR 08, 2021 01:58 PM IST
  • Amitabh Bachchan took to social media to wish all his fans on International Women's Day. He also said everyday was Women's Day, in his eyes.
Rhea Chakraborty is back on Instagram after eight months.
Rhea Chakraborty is back on Instagram after eight months.

Rhea makes Instagram comeback with Women's Day post for her mother

PUBLISHED ON MAR 08, 2021 01:08 PM IST
Rhea Chakraborty has come back on Instagram after eight months. She has shared a Women's Day post dedicated to her mother.
Aarya Babbar: OTTs have taken off the salability factor from projects
Aarya Babbar: OTTs have taken off the salability factor from projects

Aarya Babbar: OTTs have taken off the salability factor from projects

By Juhi Chakraborty
PUBLISHED ON MAR 08, 2021 12:26 PM IST
Like most actors, Aarya Babbar is also making the most of the digital wave in the entertainment industry and has not one but four web series coming up
Actor Adah Sharma has been a part of films such as 1920 and Commando.
Actor Adah Sharma has been a part of films such as 1920 and Commando.

Adah Sharma: When people are doing experimental stuff they only think of me

By Juhi Chakraborty
PUBLISHED ON MAR 08, 2021 12:24 PM IST
Actor Adah Sharma says every new director sees something different in her, which is why she is able to get a variety of roles.
Guneet Monga, Tahira Kashyap Khurrana and Ekta Kapoor have set up Indian Women Rising

Women’s Day Special | Ekta Kapoor, Guneet Monga and Tahira Kashyap Khurrana: We just want to create better opportunities for women

By Juhi Chakraborty
UPDATED ON MAR 08, 2021 12:01 PM IST
Indian Women Rising (IWR) is meant to discover, nurture and shine spotlight on the Indian female talent in cinema across the world.
Actor Bobby Deol will be seen next in the films Animal and Love Hostel.
Actor Bobby Deol will be seen next in the films Animal and Love Hostel.

Bobby Deol: Have never given importance to awards, my father’s been a legend, didn’t get a single Best Actor award

By Rishabh Suri
PUBLISHED ON MAR 08, 2021 11:52 AM IST
Actor Bobby Deol, who has won an award for his web series Ashram, talks about the importance of awards to him, and playing a variety of roles in this phase of his career.
Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli with Vamika.
Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli with Vamika.

Anushka, daughter Vamika are a happy duo in Virat's Women's Day pic

UPDATED ON MAR 08, 2021 11:56 AM IST
Virat Kohli has shared a new picture of his actor wife Anushka Sharma and daughter Vamika on the occasion of Women's Day.
Actor Anupria Goenka was recently seen in the web show Criminal Justice: Behind Closed Doors.

Anupria Goenka: There are many stereotypes attached to women even today in our workplace, pay disparity being one

By Rishabh Suri
PUBLISHED ON MAR 08, 2021 11:38 AM IST
On the occasion of International Women’s Day, actor Anupria Goenka talks about why there still exists an equality gap between males and females.
Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor's son Taimur is 4.
Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor's son Taimur is 4.

Kareena's sister-in-law Saba shares unseen pic of Taimur, loves Tim's 'style'

UPDATED ON MAR 08, 2021 11:32 AM IST
  • Saif Ali Khan's sister Saba on Sunday shared a cute and never-seen-before picture of Taimur Ali Khan. See it here.
Alia Bhatt will celebrate her birthday later this week.
Alia Bhatt will celebrate her birthday later this week.

Alia shares pic of her first bunch of birthday gifts and it's not from Ranbir

PUBLISHED ON MAR 08, 2021 11:26 AM IST
  • Alia Bhatt is already in birthday spirits. She took to Instagram and revealed she has received a bunch of gifts from director Shashank Khaitan.
Taapsee Pannu's property in Mumbai was recently raided.
Taapsee Pannu's property in Mumbai was recently raided.

Taapsee Pannu reveals her parents' reaction to the I-T raid

PUBLISHED ON MAR 08, 2021 11:13 AM IST
  • Taapsee Pannu was recently in the news for the I-T raids carried out at her property in Mumbai. The actor has now revealed how her family had reacted to the searches.