Urmila Matondkar on possible Rangeela remake: ‘Some of the remakes turn out to be great’
- Urmila Matondkar, on being asked to comment on a possible Rangeela remake, said that some remakes are made quite well while others do not live up to expectations.
Urmila Matondkar, who became a household name with Ram Gopal Varma’s Rangeela, opened up about the film being potentially remade. She said that there is no ‘hard and fast rule’ whether a film should be made again, citing that some remakes are ‘great’ while others fail to impress.
In Rangeela (1995), Urmila played Mili, a woman from a middle-class family, who aspires to be an actor. She is caught in a love triangle as her childhood friend Munna (Aamir Khan) and the lead actor of her film, Raj (Jackie Shroff), both fall for her. The film was not only a blockbuster but was lauded by critics as well.
When asked how she would feel if Rangeela were remade, Urmila told the Times of India, “I think it's a little unfair to take one rule for all. Some of the remakes turn out to be great and some don't hit the mark because you can't forget the original.”
“Those films were big because we had made such an impact on the audience's minds. It's very difficult for any actor or maker to recreate that every time. So, some of them really work and some of them don't; I don't think there's any hard and fast rule whether they should be made or not made. Even in Hollywood, it's the same thing,” she added.
Urmila began her career as a child artiste, with films such as Masoom and Karm. She made her debut as a lead star with Narasimha in 1991. She acted in films such as Judaai, Satya, Khoobsurat, Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya, Bhoot and Ek Hasina Thi.
After a hiatus of several years, Urmila made a comeback of sorts on the big screen with a special song in Abhinay Deo’s Blackmail, which released in 2018. She appeared in the song Bewafa Beauty.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan were visited on Wednesday evening by Karisma Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Amrita Arora, Manish Malhotra and Natasha Poonawalla.
- Karan Johar and Manish Malhotra arrived at Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor's residence and posed together for the paparazzi. Malaika Arora and sister Amrita also visited the couple.
- Twinkle Khanna shared a funny experience from her recent doctor's visit and joked about being a 'long-standing member of Giri Hui Aurat Club'.
- Hema Malini, who will be seen as a guest in an upcoming episode of Indian Idol 12, opened up about how her father tried to keep her away from Dharmendra.
- Tamannaah Bhatia is currently in Jaipur, enjoying the pre-wedding functions of her best friend Hanna Khan. See pictures from sangeet and mehendi ceremonies.
- Bhumi Pednekar's sea-facing apartment in Mumbai features a potpourri of elements, including a beautiful garden, a grand chandelier and a small filmy spot.
- Director Sooni Taraporevala has clarified that her accusations of plagiarism against the creatives behind an apparel ad have nothing to do with Deepika Padukone, who was featured in it.
- Tiger Shroff is among the most successful young stars. In an old interview, he had explained why buying a house for his parents was his most heroic act, off the screen.
- Kangana Ranaut alleged that no architect is willing to restore her office in Mumbai after it was partially demolished by the BMC last year, as they are being threatened with cancellation of their licenses.