Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan welcomed their second son on Sunday morning.

When Saif Ali Khan considered renaming Taimur: 'We drafted a pathetic letter, Kareena was against it'

• After a controversy erupted around the name of Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor's son, Taimur, Saif said that he briefly considered renaming him, and had even drafted a statement.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 22, 2021 07:18 PM IST

While actor couple Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor's fans wait for them to announce the name of their second child, let's take the opportunity to recall everything they've said about naming their first child, four-year-old Taimur.

The decision attracted much controversy, with Saif even suggesting at one point that he was open to renaming the boy. Kareena, in another interview, said that a prominent film industry personality rudely told her that she'd made a mistake by naming her child Taimur.

Kareena, in an episode of her chat show, What Women Want, told guest Neha Dhupia that they have decided to wait until the baby arrives before naming it. “After the whole controversy of Taimur, both Saif and me have not even thought about it. We’re like going to leave it last minute and then spring a surprise,” she told Neha on the show.

Also read: Kareena Kapoor's second son looks like Taimur, says grandpa Randhir Kapoor; but adds 'all babies look the same to me'

Asked if he had come to terms with the controversy surrounding his son’s name, Saif told The Times of India in 2017: “I haven’t told anyone about this — I thought for a second about changing his name. For a couple of weeks. And Kareena was a little against it, and she said, ‘People respect you for your opinion and you can’t’... So I said, yeah, but it’s not about people. I don’t want him to get unpopular.”

“And I still might, maybe when he’s one or two, I might change his name in a while, it’s still sinking in, what to do. Someone in my PR agreed with me, and we drafted a small letter. And when I read it, it was so pathetic, that I cancelled the idea. Because it was really like, uhh, ‘I’m sorry’, and ‘I didn’t want to offend’ and ‘I’m an idiot’ (laughs), and you know, I’ve given in to pressure. It just sounded awful. However you write it, it just wasn’t sounding right. It was like I didn’t realise where I live or what I’m doing. So I did think about it. I thought about it, but it was for the wrong reason. If I feel that he’s going to get in trouble in school, I might still change it. It’s a bit late now, though. Or not. I don’t know,” Saif added.

In another interview from the same year, Saif told Mumbai Mirror that he was aware of why people were upset -- many drew a connection to the Turkish invader Timur. He said, “I’m aware of the heritage of the Turkish ruler and my son was not named after him. He was Timur, my son is Taimur. Perhaps the root is similar but it’s not the same name. Taimur is an ancient Persian name meaning iron. Both my wife and I liked its sound and the meaning. In fact, of all the names I ran by Kareena, she liked this one the best because it’s beautiful and strong. Taimur was the name of a boy he’d grown up with and a cousin too. It’s an old family name like Sara who was also named after a cousin I admired.”

He added. “I should have added a disclaimer, as they do in the movies, that any resemblance to any person, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Yes, there were some people who raised some objections but obviously just to look at medieval history and to make value judgments is, I think, ridiculous, and a lot of people have said that on my behalf. I feel quite confident that we don’t live in a right-wing society. As yet, India is still liberal and people are still open-minded.”

In a conversation with journalist Rajdeep Sardesai at the India Today Conclave in 2018, Kareena said, “Of course, there was trolling but at the same time there was an immense support from the people we were getting, not that trolls matter to us that much but it was our choice. The day before I was going to the hospital for delivery, I had a talk with Saif and he was suggesting to keep his name Faiz, he said, ‘Bebo, that is a more poetic, more romantic name’. I said ‘no, Taimur means iron and if I give birth to a son, my son is going to be a fighter, I will produce an iron man’. And yes, I proudly did so.”

Also read: Kareena Kapoor, Saif Ali Khan welcome baby boy, Taimur becomes big brother

More recently, in an interview with journalist Barkha Dutt, Kareena recalled a scarring story. She said, “(A famous personality), on the pretext of visiting me and the baby, came up to me and in the conversation of actually saying congratulations, and said that ‘what’s with you? Why would you name your son Taimur?’ And I was like, It hadn’t even been 8 hours since I’d delivered. And I literally started crying. That person was asked to leave. My journey with that started then where I just made up my mind and I said this is my boy, my son. I don’t care what happens. As long as he is happy, and he is healthy and we’re happy. I’m just gonna go home and go away with this. I don’t want to know anything else, what is trolling, what is happening.”

Kareena and Saif's second son was born on Sunday. Saif has two other children -- Sara and Ibrahim Ali Khan -- from a previous marriage.

Related Stories

Kareena Kapoor Khan and Saif Ali Khan welcomed their second baby this morning.
Kareena Kapoor Khan and Saif Ali Khan welcomed their second baby this morning.

Kareena Kapoor and her baby boy receive love from Neetu Singh and Amrita Arora

PUBLISHED ON FEB 21, 2021 04:03 PM IST
Kareena Kapoor Khan and Saif Ali Khan welcomed their second baby this morning. Following the news, Neetu Singh and Amrita Arora took to Instagram and showered the family with love.
Taimur Ali Khan turned older brother on Sunday after Kareena Kapoor Khan and Saif Ali Khan welcomed their second son.

Kareena's second son looks like Taimur, says grandpa Randhir

PUBLISHED ON FEB 22, 2021 12:42 PM IST
Kareena Kapoor Khan and Saif Ali Khan welcomed their second baby over the weekend. While the couple has chosen to keep their son's identity private for now, Kapoor family members feel the baby boy looks like his elder brother Taimur Ali Khan.
Actor Sonu Sood emerged as a messiah figure for migrant labourers in the Covid 19 lockdown in 2020.(HT_PRINT)

Sonu Sood gets handpumps installed in a Jhansi village

ANI
PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 12:43 PM IST
Sonu Sood said the installation of handpumps in a Jhansi village was an exciting sight and he might will also go one day and drink some water from those handpumps.
Lady Gaga's dogs Koji and Gustav have been dognapped at gunpoint.
Lady Gaga's dogs Koji and Gustav have been dognapped at gunpoint.

Lady Gaga offers $500000 reward for lost pups, dad says family is 'sick over it'

PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 12:39 PM IST
Pop singer Lady Gaga and her family are devastated after the violent dognapping of her two pups. The singer has even offered a reward for the safe return of her dogs.
Rajkummar Rao and Janhvi Kapoor in a still from Roohi song Kiston Mein.
Rajkummar Rao and Janhvi Kapoor in a still from Roohi song Kiston Mein.

Roohi song Kiston: Rajkummar can't help falling for Janhvi after abducting her

PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 11:58 AM IST
The second song from Roohi shows Rajkummar Rao's Bhawra slowly falling in love with Janhvi Kapoor's character after abducts her.
Ali Abbas Zafar talks about films, his latest with Salman Khan - Bharat- and more.

Tandav director Ali Abbas Zafar welcomes new guidelines for OTT

PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 11:47 AM IST
  • Most filmmakers welcome the new guidelines for OTT while Onir called it 'death of Cinema and Good content'. Ali Abbar Zafar has called it a good step
Jacqueline Fernandez stars in Bachchan Pandey.
Jacqueline Fernandez stars in Bachchan Pandey.

Jacqueline drops pic from Bachchan Pandey set, DJ Snake calls her queen

PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 11:18 AM IST
  • Jacqueline Fernandez shared a glorious sunkissed picture of hers and showering her with praise and love were not just her many fans but internationally known, DJ Snake. See here.
Babil before and after a beauty treatment at home.
Babil before and after a beauty treatment at home.

Babil gets asked if he is a girl for applying face mask: 'I love being a man'

PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 11:01 AM IST
Babil, son of late actor Irrfan Khan, has penned a note about how people ask him if he is a girl when he takes care of his skin. He said he loves being a man.
Shahid Kapoor with his daughter Misha.
Shahid Kapoor with his daughter Misha.

Shahid Kapoor and Misha are cutest dad-daughter duo in these photos

PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 10:44 AM IST
A photographer shared beautiful pictures of Shahid Kapoor and his daughter Misha on actor's 40th birthday on Thursday. Check them out here.
Shah Rukh Khan as Shekhar Subramaniam in Ra.One and Kareena Kapoor as his wife Sonia in stills from the film.

Did you know SRK was given a burial in Ra.One but Kareena immersed his ashes?

UPDATED ON FEB 26, 2021 11:11 AM IST
  • Mistakes in films continue to happen no matter how careful a filmmaker is but several years down the line, they just become a way of remembering the film with a smile.
Here are top entertainment news stories.
Here are top entertainment news stories.

Emma Watson not retiring from acting, Salman-SRK come together for Pathan

PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 10:16 AM IST
  • From rumours of Emma Watson's retirement from acting making headlines to Salman Khan joining Shah Rukh Khan on sets of Pathan, here are top entertainment news stories
Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh married in November 2018.
Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh married in November 2018.

Ranveer Singh lavishes praise on Deepika Padukone's latest pic: 'Jaan hi lele'

PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 09:53 AM IST
  • Ranveer Singh gushed over his wife and actor Deepika Padukone's beauty in her latest picture. See his comment here.
Kangana Ranaut's Tanu Weds Manu also starred Swara Bhasker as her friend.
Kangana Ranaut's Tanu Weds Manu also starred Swara Bhasker as her friend.

Kangana tweets about not getting tagged in Tanu Weds Manu posts while Swara did

UPDATED ON FEB 26, 2021 09:26 AM IST
Actor Kangana Ranaut has tweeted about how she was not tagged in the 10th anniversary posts of her film Tanu Weds Manu by some sections of the media. She said that a few people wish she was Alia Bhatt, Taapsee Pannu or Swara Bhasker.
Amrita Rao has named her son Veer.
Amrita Rao has named her son Veer.

Amrita Rao on motherhood: ‘No one can really prepare you for the journey'

PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 09:05 AM IST
  • Amrita Rao has said that she wasn't prepared to handle many new mother problems as parents forget to tell their children many things by the time they become grandparents.
Deepika Padukone braved the crowds in Mumbai as a woman tried to pull her purse.(Varinder Chawla)

Deepika struggles to get into her car as a woman pulls her purse, watch video

PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 08:02 AM IST
  • Spotted outside a food joint in Mumbai, Deepika Padukone was seen struggling when a woman tried to pull her purse in an attempt to sell tissues.
Saveree Sri Gaur (Sourced photo)
Saveree Sri Gaur (Sourced photo)

Theatre or cinema, all strive to entertain audience: Saveree Sri Gaur

By S Farah Rizvi
UPDATED ON FEB 25, 2021 11:48 PM IST
Actor Saveree Sri Gaur known for playing, Budhani in the film ‘Bhor’, feels theatre and cinema both have their own charm.
Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan on Bigg Boss.(AFP)
Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan on Bigg Boss.(AFP)

Salman Khan joins Shah Rukh Khan on the sets of Pathan, see a picture

UPDATED ON FEB 25, 2021 09:35 PM IST
  • Salman Khan reportedly shot for Shah Rukh Khan's Pathan on Thursday. See a picture from the set here.