MP too joins Jodhaa Akbar ban wagon
The Madhya Pradesh government has banned screening of Jodhaa-Akbar in the state with immediate effect, fearing disturbances.
The state cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan took the decision on Friday, taking note of the protests by Rajputs over the film that could lead to law and order problems.
The film's release last Friday was marked by widespread protests by the community in Gwalior, Indore, Jabalpur, Bhopal and some smaller towns.
In Gwalior, its screening was suspended on the first day after a mob ransacked the cinema hall.
The Rajput outfits alleged the film has distorted historical facts to malign the community.
Off theatres in Ambala
The town of Ambala has also banned the Hrithik Roshan-Aishwarya starrer, stopping the movie from being screened in two cinema halls of the district, following protests by Rajputs.
The protesters had alleged that the cinema halls had removed the posters of the film but were still screening it.
In Bihar's Gopalganj, the Shyam Chitramandir theatre stopped the film's screening after two days of protest by various saffron groups.
Scores of activists of the BJP and its student wing, the Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad, took out a procession on Tuesday, tore posters and threatened further violence if the screening was not stopped.
In Ranchi, a group under the banner of All India Rajput Manch tore down posters and burnt them near a cinema hall.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Parineeti Chopra reminisced about many of her firsts in a new video for Netflix India. Watch it here.
- Bipasha Basu and her husband, Karan Singh Grover, have been keeping their fans updated with their adventures in the Maldives. See their pictures here.
- Milind Soman and his wife, Ankita Konwar, took to Instagram on Saturday to celebrate seven years of their relationship. See the pictures here.
- Actor Priyanka Chopra on Saturday passed on her best wishes to the current Miss India contestants, and reminisced about winning the crown two decades ago.
- Charu Asopa celebrated her birthday with husband Rajeev Sen. Check out pictures and video from the bash.
- Ranvir Shorey was asked by a fan if his leg fracture was caused by too much happy dancing after recovering from Covid-19. See his reply here.
- Shilpa Shetty, who is currently vacationing in Maldives, shared another stunning picture of herself. See it here.
Covid effect on pre-shoot rituals for actors? Sara Ali Khan, Taapsee Pannu, Anil Kapoor spill the beans
- Bigg Boss runner-up Rahul Vaidya's fiancee Disha Parmar has shared a video of herself wearing one of his sweatshirts. "I wear my boyfriend's clothes," she wrote in her post.