Shruti Haasan: Keyboard, computer that dad gifted when I turned 18 changed my life
For Shruti Haasan, birthdays are mostly a simple affair. This time too things won’t be different. While the actor-singer is working on her birthday today, there might be a small celebration.
“The one time I had the biggest birthday bash was when I turned 30, otherwise it’s mostly very quiet. And the thing I love doing the most on my birthday is eating tasty cakes. I’m a foodie, so good food is what makes me happy,” she says adding how she feels grateful for all the love and wishes from her fans.
Looking back, Haasan remembers her most cherished birthday gift. “On my 18th birthday, dad (Kamal Haasan; actor-director) gave me my first keyboard and computer to make music. That remains special as music became an important part of me, I started training, writing, singing and composing,” recalls the actor, who turns 35.
Talking about music, Haasan’s 2020 song Edge was received well. She’s now working on her next titled Bare Naked. Interestingly, her original songs are primarily in English.
“I grew up in a home with Hindi because of mum (Sarika; actor) and while in Chennai I learnt Tamil and in school it was English. Travelling all across the country, English kind of became the language we all communicate in and I also listened to English music predominantly even though I’m trained in Indian classical. So my expression comes naturally in English. My music is autobiographical, so it’s essential that I say what I say in English,” she explains.
Content with response around Edge, Haasan says it joins the list of songs that she’s mostly asked to perform at concerts. “There’s this song Wash Me Away, it’s about my journey through sobriety, then there’s Very Me that raises conversations about our culture, and now Edge, which is about my experiences being alone during the lockdown, I’m often asked to perform these songs,” adds Haasan, who started 2021 with the hit Telugu film Krack alongside Ravi Teja. Her next film is Laabam with Vijay Sethupathi.
Meanwhile, recently Haasan hinted being in love during an interactive session with fans on social media. She was earlier dating musician Michael Corsale. They parted ways in 2019.
Ask about the new relationship and she answers, “I want to keep my personal life protected. There was a time when I spoke about it and regretted. I think maturity or evolution to understand women talking about their personal and professional life openly without being questioned lacks in our society. Also, growing up with both parents being known, I really didn’t have many things that are personal to me. So I’m very particular.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Author tweets @Shreya_MJ
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BTS singer V left fans in India screaming after he was seen thanking a yoga instructor with a "namaste."
- BTS singer Jungkook was the talk of the town with his surprise VLive followed by his statements on his upcoming mixtape, dubbed JJK1, on Saturday.
Jonita Gandhi: Music industry is still male dominant and there’s a certain stereotyping that’s happening with women
- Sajid Khan of the Sajid-Wajid fame has said in a recent interview how Salman Khan has been supporting him after his brother Wajid's death last year.
- Last year, BTS singer Jimin caused a frenzy among Indian BTS fans when he said he watched 3 Idiots.
- BTS singer V confirmed that his mixtape would feature 13 songs. This revelation has left the fandom, ARMY, in an emotional state.
- Nick Jonas has released the title track from his new album Spaceman. The singer revealed that most songs on the album are musical love letters to Priyanka Chopra.
- BTS singer Jungkook took to Twitter and shared a selfie flaunting his blue hair. The singer caused a frenzy among fans and left a few wondering if the hair colour change has something to do with his mixtape.