Trade Espresso: Reversal of fortunes
Everything was just right — No 1 banner of Yashraj Films, top actors and vacation time. And yet, when Siddharth Anand’s Ta Ra Rum Pum opened, it met with a lukewarm response.
The thanda opening has sent shock waves in the trade. Tradewallas were expecting a thumping response. It got only 20 to 25 per cent collections at some places in the city.
The successful pair of Hum Tum, Saif Ali Khan and Rani Mukherji, simply failed to garner audiences on Day 1.
However, the scene wasn’t all that bad nationwide — the first day’s collections were around 50 per cent.
However, the second day — Saturday — saw a jump in collections.
Bookings for Sunday were satisfactory too, especially in the multiplexes. Tradewallas say the film’s music is a major setback. Also, with the ongoing summer vacation, Yashraj Films should have done some aggressive promotion. They didn’t.
There is hope
Although Ta Ra Rum Pum failed take a big opening, tradewallas are optimistic that the film will prove to be profitable in metro cities. They also feel that the collections will pick up through word-ofmouth praise.
Silver lining: feedback from multiplex audiences is positive. Tradewallas feel the project will cross at least Rs 6 crore gross in Mumbai city alone.
As predicted, Tusshar Kapoor‘s and Ayesha Takia’s Kya Love Story Hai met with weak response across the country. Pangaa Naa Lo also flopped.
Guddu Dhanoa’s Big Brother did good business in the Northern belt in its first week, thanks to Sunny Deol’s presence.. but it nosedived in its second week.
Collections for Vikram Bhatt’s Life Mein Kabhie Kabhiee, which were bad in the first week, worsened in the second week. Bheja Fry is doing moderately well at multiplexes.
This Friday will see the release of Goutam Ghose’s Yatra, toplining Rekha and Nana Patekar.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Mohit Malik and Addite Malik had their baby shower Wednesday and the TV couple was seen in traditional Maharashtrian attire for the bash.
- Salman Khan reportedly shot for Shah Rukh Khan's Pathan on Thursday. See a picture from the set here.
- Rakhi Sawant visited her ailing mother at hospital, accompanied by Kashmera Shah and Sambhavna Seth, who assured 'emotional and financial support' for her.
- Yashraj Mukhate, the memelord musician behind viral tracks such as Rasode Mein Kaun Tha and Pawri Hori Hai, has spoken about his journey.
- On Shahid Kapoor's 40th birthday, his former step-father Rajesh Khattar recalled the 'normal family' dynamic they shared as Shahid was growing up.
- The first teaser for director Zack Snyder's upcoming zombie film, Army of the Dead, has been released. Dave Bautista leads the cast, which also features Huma Qureshi, although she isn't seen in the teaser.
- A faction of late actor Sushant Singh Rajput's fans called for a boycott of the film Chehre, said to feature his girlfriend Rhea Chakraborty. Rhea was removed from the promotional materials of the film.