We feel cheated by Maha govt: Subhash Ghai
Filmmaker Subhash Ghai today said he felt "cheated" by the Maharashtra government even as prominent Bollywood personalities expressed shock on the verdict of the Supreme Court upholding the Bombay High Court order quashing the 20 acre land allotted to his film school Whistling Woods International.
Ghai, who founded the school said, "We feel cheated by Government of Maharashtra when we are told after ten years of setting up Whistling Woods at a cost of Rs 75 crore that our joint venture agreement (signed between his Mukta Arts and the Maharashtra Film, Stage and Cultural Development Corporation (MFSCDC) is not valid because of a government error that a board resolution was not passed and the land was undervalued."
"What is our fault? They gave the agreement to us signed by the then MD, Cultural Secretary and Minister of Culture to have a partnership in Whistling Woods Ltd with share equity and we invested Rs 20 crore to begin with," Ghai said in a statement issued here today.
The producer-director also said the change in the film school's legal status can never demoralise the faculty, staff and the students.
"We are proud that 500 Alumni have already been placed very well since 2006 and 400 are still studying and Whistling Woods has become an international name to reckon with," he said.
Filmmaker Shekhar Kapoor said, "Ghai gave 15 years of his time and energy to create a centre of learning for cinema. Whistling Woods is not a scam, he should be applauded. It is not possible to build educational institutions at current land prices in any city.. government has to allocate land for this. Tisch film school in Singapore is built on land given free by the Government."
Veteran filmmaker Shyam Benegal said he was saddened by the verdict in the case.
"Ghai had taken upon himself as a mission to create a world class film school. He worked tirelessly for 13 years to fulfill this dream and finally succeeded in making it happen. Mumbai could now pride itself on having a film school as good as any in the world. And suddenly this... Strange!"
On April 4, the apex court had pulled up former Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh for giving 20 acres of land to Ghai in 2004 for his film institute, saying he cannot treat anyone as a "blue-eyed boy" and bend or bypass the rules.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Even though Prince Harry and Meghan Markle admitted to having watched Netflix's The Crown, the show's creator, Peter Morgan, had previously said that he has no intention of telling their story on the series.
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.
- Boney Kapoor said that he was fortunate to have 'some of the strongest women in the world' in his life -- late wife Sridevi, and daughters Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor.
- Despite cancelling divorce proceedings, Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife, Aaliya, has said that they aren't yet living with each other.
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra shared a funny and cute video of the two of them to celebrate his wife and an 'amazing role model'.