Choosing the right salon
Before you decide to go for a particular salon service, pay attention to these small but vital things. While girls would maintain that a trip to a salon can be a great mood lifter, a salon service gone wrong could also turn into an unforgettable horror. So, before you head to a salon, it’s important that you keep in mind the following tips shared by hair and beauty experts.
1. Experience counts
To cut out hair disasters from your life, always go to an experienced hair stylist. Avoid newbies whom you don’t know. Stick to a tried and tested name who won’t make you scream in horror after she is done with her scissor-flying job.
Go to a salon where the stylist will give you proper time and attention. Usually, salons in a mall or a busy shopping area are overcrowded and end up rushing with their job, which could deflate your makeover dreams. Also, don’t go to salons in run by
‘aunties’ who are themselves victims of style slump. How your stylist wears her own hair tells a lot about her taste.
Do not get carried away by hefty discounts and free services being offered by salons. They could just be making up for their lack of skills or experience. Those with an insane price list are also not a good idea, as they could be trying to create a false impression of class. Look for a reasonably priced salon that is within your budget.
Look around and see how efficient the cleaner of the salon is. A clump of hair lying below a chair for a long time or used cotton wool thrown on the floor is not a good sign. Check if the styling equipments are spic and span and the beauty products displayed on the counter are fresh.
5. Read reviews
Find out about the salon on the Internet. Read what people have to say about the services provided by the salon. It will tell you a lot about its strengths and weaknesses.
6. Friend’s recommendation
A salon recommended by a friend is a good choice, as he/she knows taste and prices you can afford and would suggest a place accordingly.
7. Look before you leap
Try out treatments such as a head message or a pedicure before going for a hair cut or hair colour. This would give you a fair idea about the quality of their service.
8. Go by your instincts
Listen to your gut. If you don’t like the stylist but can’t figure out why, or something about the place seems wrong, walk out the door.
(Inputs by hair and beauty experts Ambica Pillai, Vishwashreshtha Shanti, Ashmeen Munjal, and Pammy Kaul) HTC
Vote for your favourite salon
Monthly visit to the salon is a ritual that most of us follow religiously to look our best. To acknowledge the best salon services in the city, Hindustan Times and Clear Anti-Dandruff Shampoo bring to you Clear HT City People’s Choice Salon Awards, which give you a chance to pick your favourite salons. Out of the many salons in the city, we have picked up 205 best salons, and our readers will pick up 30 salons from the list. Later, the editorial team will visit these salons, and select the best among them.
While the winning salons will be awarded the most prestigious salon award in Delhi, the other salons will also be featured in a book released by Hindustan Times, titled, HT City Clear People’s Choice Salon Guide Delhi 2012. Also watch out for our list of participating salons that we will feature every week. So, hurry, cast your vote, and see you favourite salon walk away with the award.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kareena Kapoor has changed the face of maternity fashion. From figure-flaunting dresses to dreamy kurtas and kaftans, the actor was seen wearing everything while expecting her second son. One of her outfits that created a lot of buzz was a sea green kurta set that the actor wore during a shoot.
- Priyanka Chopra recently took to Twitter and showed fans her new silver-framed spectacles. However, it was her stunning green well-fitted shirt that garnered all the attention.
- Shilpa Shetty is currently holidaying in the Maldives and giving us sartorial goals. The fashionista recently wore a gorgeous pink and yellow pleated saree dress worth ₹25k and looked absolutely fantastic.
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, who are expecting their second child together, made a surprise appearance at a recent virtual event. It was her gorgeous citrus print summer dress that stole the show.
- Bipasha Basu floods the Internet with sultry pictures straight from the Maldives beach in a black bikini layered with a barely buttoned-down cinnamon blue and ivory striped silk shirt dress which is a closet must-have for a summer or fall day | Check pictures and fashion cues inside
- Hello sunshine: Gauahar Khan adds all the missing beauty to our day with her ravishing pictures in a mesmerising mustard lehenga set with gota korpatti embroidery and we guess we have already found our fashion hero to take style cues from, for the next ethnic event this Spring