Play it right: Setting up the ultimate gaming room
If there’s one thing that bridges the generation gap between the old and the young, it’s their love for games. Be it a relaxing game of snooker, poker night with friends, or an intense virtual FIFA session, gaming rooms are the ideal way to de-stress and also bond with your friends. We got in touch with architect Sameer Rahat Khan and interior designer and visual merchandiser Manjjulaa Kukreja, who gave us a few pointers to keep in mind while designing a cool gaming room.
The most important thing you need to keep in mind while designing your own gaming room is space. Your gaming room should be spacious enough to accommodate pool and poker tables, while having space to walk around. Most gaming tables require 3-5 feet of space around them. There should also be adequate distance between the TV, the gaming console, and the recliner or couch.
The purpose of creating a gaming room is relaxation. Therefore, comfort is a priority when it comes to choosing furniture. Recliners and bean bags are ideal for a gaming room as they support your back through the long gaming sessions. One can also opt for sound egg chairs, which are audio environment chairs that block outside noise while being used. They are cozy and cool, a perfect fit for a gaming room.
While designing your game room, make sure that it is not too bright. The lighting should be functional and stylish. Yellow lights work the best for a mellow ambience. Your pool and poker tables should be under the glow of task lighting. Avoid installing lights in front of your TV as the reflection of the lights on the screen would be a distraction. And opt for remote control lighting — it’s easier and lazier.
Gaming consoles and computers produce a lot of heat. While planning your gaming room, ensure that there are enough windows and fans. Blasting the AC on the minimum temperature setting is not really the ideal way to deal with the heat. Apart from increasing your electricity bill, it can also cause health issues.
Unkempt wiring can be risky anywhere, and your gaming room is no exception. Besides the chance of tripping, loose wiring has the threat of short circuit, which may lead to a fire. Wires should always be under the carpet or behind the shelves. Opt for a high-quality extension cord; it’s tidier compared to wires spread throughout the room.
Soundproofing your gaming room is a must if you don’t want to disturb your family or neighbours. One of the most popular ways to soundproof your gaming room is adding framing to your ceiling and walls. You can also use layers of insulation or dry walls to absorb the noise. Thick carpets and curtains also help in absorbing noise.
7)Keep the score:
Where’s the fun without a little bit of competition between you and your mates? A scoreboard is a must. You can go for a colourful chalk board to add bit of pop to your room.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Leaving fans hooked with her saree chronicles, Janhvi Kapoor serves another sensuous look from Manish Malhotra’s collection in an ivory-coloured six yards of elegance as she promotes her upcoming film ‘Roohi’ on Day 4
- Vidya Balan recently dolled up for an e-interview and we love everything about retro-chic vibe. From her dove grey asymmetric kurta to smart narrow pants, we can’t wait to recreate the delightful silhouette as we walk into spring-summer
- Want to set mercury soaring when going for lunch or an evening out? Take fashion cues from Aditi Rao Hydari’s romantic steamy look for The Girl on The Train promotions in a pink strappy twisted bustier teamed with wide-leg pants that look flirty enough to add drama to our summer closet
- Kriti Sanon recently gave us outfit goals as she stepped out in a bodycon denim romper with white accessories for casual outing. We can't help but marvel at the choices of the fashionista.
- For her much anticipated interview with the media mogul, Oprah Winfrey, Meghan Markle wore a black silk dress and showed that she knows how to do maternity fashion right.
- Janhvi Kapoor recently stepped out in an ethereal flowy dress for a promotional event of her upcoming film Roohi. The dress that is worth ₹22k is one of our favourite looks donned by the actor.
- For a recent shoot, Kiara Advani wore a beautiful bralette and skirt co-ord set. The Kabir Singh actor made it clear that summer is here in her matching attire and we love it.
- Erica Fernandes has been serving one steamy look after another during her stay at the Maldives, be it in a powder blue bodysuit or acid wash bustier-skirt and fashionistas can’t help but take notes to slay at the next beach vacation