Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 20, 2018-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Fired Japan national football team boss Vahid Halilhodzic sues JFA - for one yen

Vahid Halilhodzic was unceremoniously given the boot by the Japan Football Association (JFA) last month, who slammed the decision as a “brutal” case of wrongful dismissal.

football Updated: May 25, 2018 14:01 IST
Agence France-Presse
Agence France-Presse
Agence France-Presse, Tokyo
Japan national football team,Vahid Halilhodzic,Japan Football Association
Vahid Halilhodzic filed a suit on Thursday, May 24, 2018, in Tokyo against the Japan Football Association, saying the dismissal damaged his honor and reputation. (AP)

Lawyers for sacked Japan national football coach Vahid Halilhodzic filed a legal claim against his former employers on Thursday claiming “damage to reputation and honour” and seeking compensation -- of one yen.

The Franco-Bosnian was unceremoniously given the boot by the Japan Football Association (JFA) last month, prompting an angry backlash from his legal team, who slammed the decision as a “brutal” case of wrongful dismissal.

Attorney Lionel Vincent has demanded an explanation and apology, accusing JFA president Kozo Tashima of summarily firing the former Algeria coach -- just two months before the World Cup -- without consulting board members.

READ | Mladen Krstajic injects youth into Serbia’s 2018 FIFA World Cup squad

“It’s not about money for Vahid,” Vincent told AFP. “He got Japan to the World Cup and he doesn’t want to be the black sheep who looks stupid. He’s deeply hurt and feels betrayed.”

“President Tashima acted in violation of the JFA’s governance rules, so we are seeking a formal apology.”

But rather than seek a big payout, Halilhodzic’s lawsuit calls for compensation of a symbolic one yen ($0.0091).

Halilhodzic, who was appointed Japan coach in March 2015, was axed after a string of lacklustre performances, with the JFA appointing former technical director Akira Nishino as his replacement.

However, the legal wrangling will do little to help Japan’s preparations just weeks before the start of the World Cup in Russia.

READ | Champions League final between Madrid, Liverpool target for cyber attack?

Halilhodzic flew back to Tokyo to hold an emotional press conference following his dismissal, blasting Tashima for a “lack of respect”.

In an interview with AFP, the 66-year-old said: “I don’t want to leave the country as a mess, as an incompetent.”

Tashima had blamed the sudden sacking on a breakdown in communication between Halilhodzic and key players, a charge the ex-coach angrily rejected.

Despite that denial, however, talismanic forward Keisuke Honda -- thought to be one of the players at loggerheads with the coach -- subsequently criticised Halilhodzic’s style of play in an interview with local media.

First Published: May 24, 2018 19:52 IST