Gurgaon: Fire breaks out at bar on Sohna Road, no one hurt
While there were no customers at the bar at the time of the incident, goods worth lakhs were guttedgurgaon Updated: Feb 11, 2018 23:04 IST
A fire broke out at a bar located at Omaxe Mall on Sohna Road on Sunday. However, no injuries were reported in the incident.
The fire broke out at Cocktails Bar and Lounge at around 2.15 pm, and according to fire department officials, the cause of the fire was heavy deposition of oil in the kitchen chimney.
According to officials, the establishment had procured a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the fire safety department and obtained other fire-related clearances as well.
While no customers were present inside the establishment during the incident, goods worth lakhs were gutted in the fire.
With the sprinkler system in the establishment functioning, the fire was restricted to the kitchen area which had no sprinklers.
According to officials of the fire safety department, there were no sprinklers in the kitchen as temperatures above sixty degrees celsius could activate them.
The officials said that they received a distress call at 2.25pm and two fire engines from the Sector 29 headquarters of the fire safety department were rushed to the spot. Two more from the Sector 37 fire station were later sent to the spot for assistance.
It took the fire fighters nearly an hour to douse the flames.
“With the establishment located on the third floor, officials and fire fighters faced difficulties in accessing the area. A 42m hydraulic platform was pressed into service and after breaking the glass from the outside to allow cross-ventilation and let the smoke out, the fire fighters started dousing the flames,” IS Kashyap, a fire safety officer, said.
The incident comes a month after a minor fire broke out at a pub at Good Earth City Centre in Sector 50 on January 10.
The Cocktails Bar and Lounge and around 200 other pubs and eateries in the city were checked for fire preparedness by officials of the fire safety department following an order by urban local bodies minister Kavita Jain. The order followed a fire at a posh Mumbai pub on December 29, 2017, which left 14 people dead.
Several commercial establishments in Cyber City, Sector 29, Mehrauli-Gurgaon (MG) Road, Golf Course Road and Sohna Road were checked for fire safety and preparedness. While three joints on MG Road were found to be violating fire norms, the rest were deemed to be complying with fire safety regulations.
“Since we do peak business at night, only two people (staff members) were present during the incident. Thankfully, there were no injuries. We are working towards resuming operations at the joint at the earliest,” Saurabh Bhandari, operations manager at the bar, said.
Excise department officials revealed that the NOC obtained by the establishment is valid till October 2018.