Allergy-triggering molecule found
British scientists have discovered a molecule that appears to play a key role in triggering allergies. Researchers from Barts and the London School of Medicine managed to stop allergic attacks in mice by targeting the molecule - P110delta, BBC reported Friday.
The researchers said the method did not interfere with the rest of the body's immune defences, and it may offer the chance to prevent allergies, not just relieve symptoms.
The researchers looked at a family of proteins called PI3Ks, which have a variety of roles around the body. The P110delta molecule is one of these.
They believe that targeting this molecule alone might be able to interfere with attacks. They said that in mice, the molecule could be blocked, without harming the rest of the immune system.
"This work shows we have the potential to take control of the body's reaction to an allergen and prevent symptoms from occurring," Khaled Ali, who led the research, was quoted as saying.
"This work confirms our previous findings and shows once and for all that in an allergic reaction, it is P110delta that is the key player. We are very hopeful that a drug for human patients can be developed in the near future," Bart Vanhaesebroeck, a professor from Barts and the London School of Medicine, said.
Allergies happen when part of the immune system identifies something common and harmless, such as pollen or house mite faeces, as a foreign invader, and launches an attack. This can cause inflammation on the skin, in the nose or airways, which creates the unpleasant and sometimes dangerous symptoms reported by sufferers.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Every week, fitness enthusiast Malaika Arora shares a new Yoga asana with her followers and urges them to exercise. However, this week, in order to celebrate International Women's Day she posted a picture of herself nailing the Reverse Warrior Pose and asked women to flaunt their warrior side.
- Disha Patani is known for her extreme workout sessions. The Bharat actor took to Instagram on International Women's Day and shared a glimpse from her martial arts session to show how strong she is.
- American actor and The Twilght Saga’s Rosalie Hale aka Nikki Reed flaunts her acro sport skills in latest fitness post as hubby and Vampire Diaries star Ian Somerhalder captures her in the middle of the jaw-dropping exercise move. Here’s why you should give Acro Yoga workout a try too
- Ishaan Khatter raises the bar of fitness motivation as we enter a new week and we are too inspired to follow his version of ‘when someone says let’s meet at the bar’. Here’s why
- Vicky Kaushal recently shared a glimpse of himself sweating it hard in the gym in order to earn his weekend cheat meal. We can say that the clip is inspiring us to start our Sunday with a fitness session as well.
- Being high in fiber and sugar content, dates or khajur often leave people speculating about whether they should be consumed after soaking over night or raw or on empty stomach or before going to bed. Read on to know when is the best and worst time to eat dates
- Katrina Kaif recently hosted an Ask Me Anything session on Instagram and shared never seen before images and videos with her fans. She also posted about her healthy breakfast and intense fitness routine.