From the pantry: Jackfruit
A professional’s Asian take on the Sloppy Joe with jackfruit, and a reader’s Mangalorean dishHT48HRS_Special Updated: May 26, 2016 20:58 IST
A professional’s Asian take on the Sloppy Joe with jackfruit, and a reader’s Mangalorean dish
Summer is here, and so is the jackfruit. It is not only one of the sweetest tropical fruits but also a rich source of dietary fibre and Vitamin B Complex. Our expert chef cooks up a vegetarian delicacy, and a reader turns the fruit into a rice cake.
Pulled Jackfruit Sloppy Joe with spiced mango relish
Recipe by: Chef Sudhir Pitake, chef de cuisine, Prego, The Westin Mumbai Garden City
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Jackfruit kernels, raw and deseeded: 800g
Canola or sunflower oil: 150ml
Cashew nuts, halved and toasted: 30g
Turmeric powder: 1tsp
Red onions (medium), sliced thinly: 2
Garlic cloves, slivered: 6 to 8
Cumin powder, freshly ground: 1 ½tsp
Paprika powder (preferably smoked): 1 ½ tsp
Demerara or brown sugar: 1tsp
Red chili powder: 1tsp
Barbeque sauce (preferably hickory smoke): 2tbsp
Chili sauce (sriracha or Tabasco): 1tbsp
Mango pickle (choonda): 1tbsp
Mayonnaise (eggless): 4tbsp
Sesame buns, halved horizontally: 4
Sesame seeds, toasted: 1tbsp
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
For mango relish:
Alphonso mangoes, peeled and cut into small dices: 3
Green Coriander, chopped: 1tsp
Spring onion green, chopped: 1tbsp
Red chili, small deseeded and chopped: ½ piece
Salt, freshly ground black pepper to taste and a small pinch of black salt
Dark sesame oil: 1 tsp
- Combine all the ingredients and leave in the refrigerator. Mix just before spooning on top of the Sloppy Joes.
- Apply minimal oil to your palms and wash the jackfruit kernels under running water.
- Boil some water in a pot and add salt, turmeric powder and vinegar.
- Add the jackfruit pieces and cook for three to four minutes. Drain the water using a slotted spoon and discard it.
- Add 100ml of oil to jackfruit and mix it well. Place it on a lined baking tray.
- Place the tray in a pre-heated oven at 175°C and cook for 15 to 20 minutes till the jackfruit strands are pulled apart. Take out and flake the flesh using a fork.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and add onions and garlic. Sauté till it turns translucent.
- Add jackfruit, cumin powder, paprika, brown sugar, red chili powder and the barbeque and chili sauces. Add cashew nuts.
- Butter the sesame buns. Mix the pickle and mayonnaise.
- Toast the buns on a griddle till it turns golden brown and slightly crunchy.
- Place the burger bun bases on a tray. Heap spoonfuls of the jackfruit.
- Spoon some mango relish and sesame seeds on top. Serve it.
Winning reader recipe
Jackfruit Steamed Rice Cake (traditional name: Mandaas)
Recipe by Nancy Rodrigues
Preparation time: 50 minutes
Parboiled rice: 250g
Jackfruit bulbs: 12
Pepper corns: 1tbsp
Turmeric powder: 1/2tsp
Green cardamon: 4
Banana leaf: 1
Salt to taste
Water for grinding (as required)
- Soak the rice for about four hours. Remove seeds from the jackfruit bulbs and cut into small pieces.
- Cut the coconut into tiny pieces and keep aside. Combine the soaked rice, jackfruit pieces, jaggery, peppercorns, turmeric powder, salt and cardamom. Grind them in a mixer with enough water till it becomes thick and grainy.
- Mix the cut coconut pieces in this mixture.
- Place a banana leaf inside the steamer and pour the mixture evenly. Maintain about 1 inch thickness. Steam for 30 minutes or till done.
- Let it cool down and serve after cutting into 1 inch cubes.
First Published: May 26, 2016 00:00 IST