How sticking needles in your ear could help with weight loss
A small study out of Korea has found that ear acupuncture could be used to help people shed belly fat.
In the same way that pressure points in the feet are supposed to be linked to certain organs in the body, a new study claims that the stimulation of five acupuncture points in the ear could help patients with weight loss, particularly in battling the midriff bulge.
Published online in Acupuncture in Medicine, scientists out of Kyung Hee University in Seoul divided participants into three groups: 31 people were given acupuncture treatments to the outer ear in five different points. The needles were inserted 2 mm deep into the flesh and held in place with surgical tape for a week. The same treatment was switched to the other ear, and the process repeated over eight weeks.
In the second group of 30 participants, a needle was applied at one single hunger point.
The third group was given a “sham” treatment which involved removing the needles immediately after insertion.
Throughout the experiment, it should be noted that participants were asked to follow a reduced calorie diet and to refrain from exercise.
In total, 24 people dropped out before the eight-week term was up, 15 of whom were in the control group.
But among those who remained, researchers say the first group lost six percent of their body mass index at the midway point, while the group that received the single-point acupuncture treatment lost 5.7 percent.
Scientists say that the largest drop in waist circumference was observed in the group that received the five-point acupuncture treatment.
A study published this summer out of the University of Maryland also found that when used to complement in-vitro fertilization treatments, acupuncture could help improve success rates.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Vicky Kaushal recently shared a glimpse of himself sweating it hard in the gym in order to earn his weekend cheat meal. We can say that the clip is inspiring us to start our Sunday with a fitness session as well.
- Being high in fiber and sugar content, dates or khajur often leave people speculating about whether they should be consumed after soaking over night or raw or on empty stomach or before going to bed. Read on to know when is the best and worst time to eat dates
- Katrina Kaif recently hosted an Ask Me Anything session on Instagram and shared never seen before images and videos with her fans. She also posted about her healthy breakfast and intense fitness routine.
- Aditi Rao Hydari shows you how to do weight training without actually using weights in her latest fitness clip. Saying that this video is hilarious would be an understatement.
- A study done in the USA showed that wearing masks can actually curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. However, dining at restaurants, both in open area and inside, can increase the number of Covid-19 cases and deaths.