What makes old people feel younger
Older adults feel younger when they feel that they have more control over their daily lives, regardless of stress or health concerns, suggests new research.
However, stress and health - not a sense of control - play a significant role in how old younger adults feel, said the study published in the Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences.
“The more control older adults think they have, the younger they feel,” said study co-author Shevaun Neupert, Professor at North Carolina State University in the US.
For this study, the researchers had 116 older adults (ages 60-90) and 107 younger adults (ages 18-36) fill out a daily survey for eight consecutive days. Study participants were asked questions aimed at assessing their daily stresses, physical health, sense of control over their daily lives, and how old they felt.
“Everyone’s sense of control fluctuates from day to day, or even over the course of a day - that’s normal,” Neupert said.
“We found that when older adults felt more in control, they also felt younger. That was true even when accounting for stress and physical health.”
However, an individual’s sense of control had no bearing on self-perceptions of age for young adults. But stress and adverse changes in health did make young people feel older.
“This highlights the importance of having older adults retain some sense of autonomy,” Neupert said.
“It’s not just a nice thing to do, it actually affects their well-being.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Vicky Kaushal recently shared a glimpse of himself sweating it hard in the gym in order to earn his weekend cheat meal. We can say that the clip is inspiring us to start our Sunday with a fitness session as well.
- Being high in fiber and sugar content, dates or khajur often leave people speculating about whether they should be consumed after soaking over night or raw or on empty stomach or before going to bed. Read on to know when is the best and worst time to eat dates
- Katrina Kaif recently hosted an Ask Me Anything session on Instagram and shared never seen before images and videos with her fans. She also posted about her healthy breakfast and intense fitness routine.
- Aditi Rao Hydari shows you how to do weight training without actually using weights in her latest fitness clip. Saying that this video is hilarious would be an understatement.
- A study done in the USA showed that wearing masks can actually curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. However, dining at restaurants, both in open area and inside, can increase the number of Covid-19 cases and deaths.