Batman v Superman director Zack Snyder goes on profane rant about why his Batman kills. Watch video
Director Zack Snyder has successfully managed to stay out of the limelight post the release of Justice League, but he has now addressed some of the more controversial aspects of his tenure in charge of the DC Extended Universe.
In a recent Q&A session held after a screening of his 2009 superhero film Watchmen, Snyder offered not so much a defence of his decision to show Batman as a murderer in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but a ruthless, profanity laden takedown of his critics.
He said, “Someone says to me: Batman killed a guy. I’m like, ‘F**k, really? Wake the f**k up.’” Video of the rant is available on Reddit.
Making a reference to Watchmen, Snyder continued, “Once you’ve lost your virginity to this f**king movie and then you come and say to me something about like ‘my superhero wouldn’t do that.’ I’m like ‘Are you serious?’ I’m like down the f**king road on that. It’s a cool point of view to be like ‘my heroes are still innocent. My heroes didn’t f**king lie to America. My heroes didn’t embezzle money from their corporations. My heroes didn’t commit any atrocities.’ That’s cool. But you’re living in a f**king dream world.”
Comparing Watchmen the film to Watchmen the graphic novel, he said, “I love more than anything Superman and Batman, but in the same way that Alan Moore was fed up with the f**king, ‘okay, no: [super heroes] do this’... Watchmen talked about comic books in the same way that this movie talks about comic book movies.”
Fans reacted to Snyder’s comments negatively, and made jokes about the intensity of his arguments. See reactions here:
Snyder is known for his dark deconstructions of popular American superheroes such as Batman and Superman. His take on the characters was met with harsh criticism from both fans and critics, and was rumoured to be the reason why he quit the DCEU ahead of the release of Justice League, although the official reason given was different.
Due to the negative reception to BvS, Justice League - which began shooting less than a month later - was always under constant scrutiny. Snyder admitted in the same interview that because of the last-minute changes, his script for the film was thrown out. “So the original Justice League script, we didn’t even shoot. The really scary version. Because we were really nervous after the response (to BvS),” he said.
Snyder was replaced by Avengers director Joss Whedon, who helmed extensive reshoots and post-production. Snyder has often implied that he hasn’t seen the theatrical Justice League.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Armie Hammer was contacted by the Cayman Islands police after they received a complaint about a video he posted on a private Instagram account. The video showed a woman posing on all-fours in a hotel room.
- The White Tiger movie review: Adarsh Gourav delivers a star-making performance in Ramin Bahrani's angry answer to Slumdog Millionaire, co-starring Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Rajkummar Rao.
- Actor Tom Holland spoke about the arduous audition process for Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the time he thought he'd be fired from the role.
- A life-size cutout of Ana de Armas was trashed outside Ben Affleck's house, amid reports of their breakup.
- Joe and Anthony Russo are bringing their Marvel Cinematic Universe experience to fleshing out the Extraction franchise, director Sam Hargrave has said.
- Celebrity couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel have welcomed their second child, a year after he publicly apologised for inappropriate behaviour amid cheating rumours.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Actor Ray Fisher has released a lengthy statement confirming his removal from the upcoming Flash movie, amid his standoff with Warner Bros.
- Actor Armie Hammer announced that he is quitting his upcoming film, amid a scandal around messages that he allegedly sent a woman.
- Patralekhaa spotted Rajkummar Rao on a hoarding of The White Tiger in New York and shared a picture on Instagram stories. She reminisced about his incredible journey, from Gurugram to New York.