Madagascar 3 fetches $35.5m for 2nd week at box office
Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted continued to hold the No. 1 spot at the US box office, earning 35.5 million dollars for the animated sequel’s second weekend in domestic theaters.hollywood Updated: Jun 18, 2012 17:01 IST
Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted continued to hold the No. 1 spot at the US box office, earning 35.5 million dollars for the animated sequel’s second weekend in domestic theaters.
Studio estimates Sunday put Ridley Scott’s sci-fi adventure Prometheus at No. 2 again with 20.2 million dollars.
Madagascar 3 and Prometheus held off two under-achieving newcomers. The star-studded musical Rock of Ages, whose cast includes Tom Cruise, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Alec Baldwin, flopped at No. 3 with 15.1 million dollars, the New York Post reported.
Sandler’s That’s My Boy bombed with 13 million dollars, the worst showing for one of his broad comedies since the mid-1990s.
That’s My Boy came in at No. 5, behind the 13.8 million dollars for Snow White and the Huntsman, a film that’s been out for three weekends already.
“Sure, we would have liked to have done more,” Rory Bruer, head of distribution at Sony said, which released That’s My Boy and most of Sandler’s past movies.
“But you’ve got to give it to Adam. He mixes it up. This is a really off-the-wall comedy,” he added.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at US and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com are:
1. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted - 35.5 million dollars
2. Prometheus - 20.2 million dollars
3. Rock of Ages - 15.1 million dollars
4. Snow White and the Huntsman - 13.8 million dollars
5. That’s My Boy - 13 million dollars
6. Men in Black - 3 10 million dollars
7. The Avengers - 8.8 million dollars
8. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - 2.2 million dollars
9. Moonrise Kingdom - 2.18 million dollars
10. What to Expect When You’re Expecting - 1.3 million dollars
First Published: Jun 18, 2012 14:08 IST