Playing Iron Man was hard and I dug deep: Robert Downey Jr
“I am Iron Man.” These words are considered closed to holy words by the fans in the world of superheroes. Credited to have bought to life one of the most popular comic book characters, Iron Man, it is safe to state that Robert Downey Jr has made us all fall in love with superhero films all over again since the release of Jon Favreau’s Iron Man in 2008. The 55-year-old, who is also the brand ambassador for OnePlus, has been in the industry for about five decades. Besides his decade-long association with Marvel Cinematic Universe, he has been seen in movies such as Chaplin (1992), Tropic Thunder (2009) and Sherlock Holmes (2010), among others.
How has the past few months been for you?
I’ve been spending a lot of time with [my] family. It’s hard not to be occasionally overwhelmed by the enormity of the challenge we’re facing in this pandemic but nothing has slowed for the strong of spirit during this time. It has been a relentless, pride-swallowing siege of a time, yet productive.
A lot has been asked and spoken about your character Tony Stark and Iron Man. Was it at any point a difficult step for you?
Each project is different. Playing Tony/Iron Man was hard and I dug deep. I had an incredible 10-year run that was creatively satisfying.
How much of Robert Downey Jr. is still Tony Stark?
Sure, some would think so since I’m doing tech-based climate solutions with my FootPrint Coalition and my technology focused YouTube original, The Age of A.I. but I believe in aesthetic distance. I’m not Tony.
Has it been easy to come out of the character that you have lived for about 10 years in the MCU?
I’ve done all I could with that character and can do other things now. Now, being middle-aged, you start looking at the back nine and realize this is all part of the journey and things end. I am fortunate and eternally grateful to have wound up where I have.
As a global icon, how important is it for you to set the right example for your fans across the globe?
I believe in this completely. I have the best fans in the world and I aim to utilise my platform for good — to share things I uncover about the world, climate, technology.
Tell us about your relationship with India. What do you have to say about your fan following here?
My fans here are amazing and I cannot thank them enough for their support. I still can’t believe that I’ve never visited the country in person and I cannot wait to plan a trip.
How would you say you have transformed as an actor and as an individual over the years?
I had an incredible 10-year run with Marvel which pushed me creatively. I now have tons more ambition to do things I haven’t done before. Evolving is key — the worst thing you can do is get in your own way. Just in the matter of me wanting to be a fit father, husband and citizen, it’d be irresponsible of me to not keep my eye ahead so I can prepare my mind for what’s to come and the transition. As an actor, every time I get a script now, I think about the commitment and time I’d be away from my missus and kiddos.
As a tech enthusiast, how has your association with OnePlus been?
Just getting exposed to tech outside the US and our Samsung/Apple duopoly has been a real treat. Teaming with OnePlus and seeing their growth in India and other regions is pretty eye-opening.
What made you choose OnePlus as a brand to partner with?
The dichotomy of OnePlus was super intriguing. It was a unique situation where they were dominant in certain markets, like India, but had ground to gain in others, making the creative process equally as challenging and rewarding.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Critics Choice Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday. Nomadland bagged four awards while late Chadwick Boseman received a posthumous award for Best Actor for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman and director Taika Waititi are currently filming Thor: Love and Thunder in Australia. A few photos and a video from the sets have leaked online.
- Chrissy Teigen took to Instagram to post pictures and videos from a recent night out with husband, singer John Legend, where she enjoyed some popular Bollywood music.
- Judas and the Black Messiah movie review: Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield deliver extraordinary performances in Shaka King's politically charged film, co-produced by Ryan Coogler.
- Coming 2 America movie review: Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall reunite for the dull and boring sequel to their cult hit.
- Raya and the Last Dragon movie review: Kelly Marie Tran and Awkwafina put their own twist on the Mulan-Mushu dynamic in Disney's latest animated adventure.
- Chris Evans shared a video montage of his friend visiting the sets of Captain America: The First Avenger and reacting to his scenes.
- Kristen Stewart has been filming for her upcoming movie, Spencer. The Twilight star plays the role of Princess Diana in the movie.
- Nick Jonas revealed he began the making of his upcoming album Spaceman when his wife and actor Priyanka Chopra was filming for The Matrix 4 in Germany.
- Actor Gal Gadot and her husband Jaron Varsano are expecting their third child together. The Wonder Woman actor posted a cute family picture to make the announcement.
- Chadwick Boseman's wife Simone Ledward broke down while accepting his posthumous Golden Globe for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Mark Ruffalo received the Best Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie for I Know This Much Is True... at the Golden Globe Awards 2021. The actor, in his acceptance speech, spoke about "Mother Earth."
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday, February 28. From The Crown to Schitt's Creek and I Care A Lot, here’s who bagged the trophies.
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 took place this weekend and Twitter couldn't help but point out the chaos that unfolded at the awards show.
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) were called out by several celebrities for their lack of diversity in their ranks. After stars chanted "Time's Up Globes", the HFPA issued a statement assuring a change in the making.