Watch Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker in action as he terrorises a train in leaked set video
A new video — the first of its kind — has been leaked from the sets of the stand-alone Joker movie, currently being filmed in New York City under the direction of Todd Phillips. The video shows star Joaquin Phoenix in full costume and makeup as the iconic Batman villain, terrorising a subway station.
Phillips on Saturday had shared the proper first look at the three-time Oscar nominee as the Clown Prince of Crime on his Instagram, perhaps as an effort to beat the paparazzi, who are almost always present on outdoor shoots. A few days prior to that Phillips had shared Phoenix’s first look as Arthur, the Joker’s alter ego in the ’80s-set film.
Expressing his frustration about the leaks, Phillips wrote in an Instagram comment, “Here’s the issue. We have paparazzi all over our set, at every turn. And it bums me out that they constantly put out their bad shots. So I figure, may as well put out some good ones.”
The leaked video, obtained, as always, by TMZ, shows a subway train pulling into a station. Dozens of passengers spill out of it as soon as its doors open, probably trying to flee what is inside. Soon, the source of their fear becomes clear as several men in clown masks also exit the train. One of them, wearing a maroon coat and green shirt, pulls his mask off and is revealed to be Phoenix.
Seeing him in action gives a clearer look at the character. His appearance seems to be a mixture of the Joker played by Cesar Romero in the ‘60 TV series and the one played by Heath Ledger in 2008’s The Dark Knight. While Phoenix’s costume leans towards the Romero version, his slapdash makeup and greasy green hair is similar to Ledger’s look.
The character has also been played by Jack Nicholson in the 1989 Batman film and most recently by Oscar-winner Jared Leto, in 2016’s Suicide Squad.
This new Joker film is reportedly the first in a new series of stand-alone movies produced under the DC Dark banner, a separate line of films than the DC Extended Universe. Leto is expected to reprise his role in at least two more DCEU films.
Phillips’ Joker movie is reportedly a period piece inspired by Martin Scorsese’s Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. The film has been scheduled for a prime Oscar season release date of October, 2019.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Actor Ray Fisher has released a lengthy statement confirming his removal from the upcoming Flash movie, amid his standoff with Warner Bros.
- Actor Armie Hammer announced that he is quitting his upcoming film, amid a scandal around messages that he allegedly sent a woman.
- Patralekhaa spotted Rajkummar Rao on a hoarding of The White Tiger in New York and shared a picture on Instagram stories. She reminisced about his incredible journey, from Gurugram to New York.
- One Night in Miami movie review: Debutante director Regina King extracts terrific performances from her four leading men, in a high-concept drama about power and responsibility.
- Bruce Willis was clicked without a mask at a pharmacy in Los Angeles on Monday. He later said that it was an 'error in judgment'.
- First footage from high-profile upcoming films starring Chris Hemsworth, Leonardo DiCaprio, Dwayne Johnson, Melissa McCarthy, Amy Adams, and others, has been revealed by Netflix.
- In an exclusive interview with Hindustan Times, Marvel Studios president, Kevin Feige, spoke about India's role in the future of the MCU, and the mind-bending WandaVision, the studio's first streaming series.