4-year-old chokes to death in Andhra after swallowing toy in snack pack

The boy unsuspectingly chewed and swallowed the plastic toy along with tomato rings in the packet at his home in Eluru town of Andhra Pradesh’s West Godavari.

india Updated: Nov 02, 2017 13:17 IST
Press Trust of India
Press Trust of India
Press Trust of India, Amaravati
toy in snack pack,Andhra Pradesh,West Godavari
A four-year-old boy mistakenly swallowed a toy found in a snack pack. (Shutterstock)

Aminiature toy, found in a snack pack to lure children into buying the packet, turned out to be fatal for a four-year-old boy who mistakenly swallowed it in Eluru town of Andhra Pradesh’s West Godavari district.

Meesala Nireekshan, who unsuspectingly chewed and swallowed the plastic toy along with tomato rings in the packet at his home in Eluru Wednesday evening, choked to death, a police official said on Thursday.

The tiny toy was stuffed inside the snack pack and, after a few bites of the tomato rings, the boy consumed it as well mistaking it for an eatable, he said.

“He then started vomiting and froth oozed out of his mouth when his mother saw him. Stuck in the throat, the toy caused the boy to choke as the efforts to pull it out failed,” the official said.

The boy was rushed to the government hospital where he was declared brought dead, he said.

The boy’s parents later filed a police complaint with the Two Town Police against the snack manufacturer, he said.

A case under relevant sections pertaining to unnatural death was registered in connection with the incident, the official said.

First Published: Nov 02, 2017 13:17 IST