Amit Shah to head new GoM on prevention of sexual harassment at work place
Three heavy weights of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Cabinet are now part of the “reconstituted” Group of Ministers on “Sexual Harassment at Work Place.” The GoM is headed by Union Home Minister Amit Shah while Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Women and Child Development Minister Smriti Irani are also part of the group, the Union Home Ministry said.
Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhrial Nishank is also part of the GoM.
Faced with allegations of sexual harassment at the work place, in particular the “MeToo” movement on social media, the previous Modi government had formed a GoM to look into “strengthening” the legal and institutional framework to prevent sexual harassment in the workplace last October.
The previous committee was also headed by then Home Minister Rajnath Singh who is now the Defence Minister. The committee after meeting a few times before the 2019 elections had asked a committee of officials to come up with model rules.
The newly constituted Group of Minsters will consult “stakeholders” and “examine the suggestions received”.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In a letter sent to all government ministries and departments Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba warned "that serious view would be taken" against those who fail to attend the ceremony despite invitations
- Of the 1.92 lakh beneficiaries that were to be vaccinated till January 25, the state has covered 1.77 lakh.
- “The chief minister is corrupt so he’s being controlled by the prime minister,” said Gandhi during his roadshow in Karur district.
- Police arrested the 32-year-od man from the airport while he was waiting to catch a fight for Dubai
- Union home secretary Ajay Bhalla said that states must check the spread rumours, and direct all the concerned authorities to take appropriate measures to counter false information about Covid-19 vaccines.
- The Maha Vir Chara and the Vir Chara are India's second and third highest wartime gallantry award.