Another soldier injured in Uri attack dies, death toll now 19
Another soldier injured in a militant attack on the Indian Army’s base in Uri on September 18 died on Friday, taking the death toll in the assault to 19, an official source said.
Naik Raj Kishor Singh, who was being treated at the army’s Research and Referral Hospital in New Delhi, succumbed to injuries sustained during the raid that India blames on Pakistan-based militants.
India carried out “surgical strikes” on seven “terror launchpads” across the Line of Control early on Thursday, seen as a reprisal for the Uri attack.
Thursday’s action is being seen as Prime Minister Narendra Modi following through on his warning that those responsible for the Uri attack “would not go unpunished”. The army had also said it would avenge the Uri attack at a time and place of its choosing.
The cross-border action came days after New Delhi reviewed its 56-year-old Indus Waters Treaty with Pakistan and pulled out of the regional Saarc Summit in Islamabad as part of a wider diplomatic offensive to isolate its nettlesome neighbour after the Uri attack.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- India put on display its war machines at a time when the country is locked in a tense border stand-off with China.
- The chaos and violence have raised questions about the future of the two-month-long agitation of farm unions.
- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, in a letter sent to her Indian counterpart, conveyed her greetings.
- Tuesday's decision to operate all trains comes a day after a meeting to resume local train services for all passengers was chaired by Maharashtra chief minister Uddhav Thackeray.
- Khattar said that unsavoury events on Tuesday deserved to be condemned in the strongest words.
- Governor RN Ravi said 'politics by gun' has stonewalled efforts to resolve the Naga political issue.
- No details were shared about the meeting, although a functionary said the party sees similarities in Tuesday’s protests with last year's anti-CAA agitation.
- Putting the onus of Tuesday's events on the government and questioning it for not accepting the farmers demands, Congress chief spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said it was not right on the government's part to create a facade of talks and neither conceding to their demands nor proposing any solution.