Bird flu confirmed in Mumbai, BMC seeks info on dead birds
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has asked people to inform the civic body’s disaster management cell on the number 1916 if they see any unusual bird deaths. The appeal came as two cases of bird flu were reported in the city on Monday.
The BMC separately issued a circular on Monday asking its market department to issue guidelines for inspections of chicken and mutton markets to ensure retailers follow cleanliness, hygiene norms and for appropriate action against the violators.
The circular said dead birds have to be disposed of in line with the government’s bird flu norms. BMC officers have been directed to inform rapid response teams formed to tackle the spread of bird flu before burying the dead birds.
The BMC also plans citizen awareness programmes on how the bird flu spreads as retailers have said their business has gone down by around 20% because of bird flu fears.
Samples of two out of 11 birds found dead in Mumbai’s Chembur on Sunday tested positive for bird flu on Monday. Earlier 13 birds were reportedly found dead in Thane and prompted the Thane Municipal Corporation to set-up a control room. On Monday, 800 chickens were reported dead because of bird flu in Parbhani.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Initially, the services will be introduced in around 30 railway stations catering to approximately 250 trains.
- Though a newcomer in politics, Dalmiya was considered a high-profile lawmaker as she is the daughter of Jagmohan Dalmiya, who served as president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), the International Cricket Council (ICC) and Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB).
- Pakistan has not yet placed orders for commercial supplies of vaccines and authorities have been racing to procure doses to begin inoculating the most vulnerable segments of the population. China on Thursday offered 500,000 doses of the Sinopharm vaccine to Pakistan.
- Lashkar operative David Coleman Headley, arrested by the US in 2009, had revealed the link between drug trafficking and terrorism emanating from Pakistan, telling interrogators how ISI used profits from the drug trade to fund terror
- These rakes will be manufactured at three production units of the railways; 24 rakes at the Integral Coach Factory, Chennai, 10 rakes at the Rail Coach Factory at Kapurthala and the balance 10 rakes at Modern Coach Factory, Raebareli.