10 killed as bus comes in contact with high voltage wire in Odisha’s Ganjam
Ten people including three children and three women were electrocuted to death and over 30 injured when a bus in which they were travelling came in contact with an overhead 11KV live transmission wire in Odisha’s Ganjam district on Sunday, a police official said.
The group of 43 people from Dangulupadu village was on its way to attend an engagement function in Sikharada village of Ganjam’s Golanthara area when their came in contact with a sagging 11 KV line near Melpaturu village. The vehicle immediately caught fire, charring at least a dozen persons. It took at least half an hour before the electricity connection could be snapped.
Berhampur SP Pinak Mishra said locals rushed to rescue the injured. Five ambulances and fire tenders also reached the spot to carry out rescue operations.
All the injured were shifted to MKCG Medical College and Hospital in Berhampur. Mishra said at least three of the injured are critical.
Expressing grief over the mishap, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia for the family each deceased and free treatment for those injured.
“The officials of Southern Electricity Supply Company Of Odisha Limited have found that the wire was hanging at a height of 3.1 metres while it should have been at least 6 metres.
A case will be registered and action will be taken on the basis of the report,” Mishra said.
Local people in Melpaturu alleged that the transmission line was sagging since last several weeks and all complaints to the distribution company fell on deaf ears.
In a similar incident, a bus carrying around 70 tourists had a lucky escape from sagging 11 KV wire in Jaleswar area of Balasore district when it came in touch with the high voltage wire on Sunday morning. The bus driver despite getting electric shock, managed to turn back the vehicle. However, one of the passengers sustained injuries.