Chennai: Bedsheet breaks fall of boy thrown from second floor to escape fire
The incident happened at the Vadapalani apartment complex in Chennai.india Updated: May 08, 2017 21:23 IST
A 10-year-old boy escaped with fractures after the bedsheet held by 50 odd people as a spring board enabled his father to throw him down from a building during a fire mishap.
Christo was flung from the second floor to escape the engulfing smoke that killed four people.
The cloth apparently could not take his weight and gave away, resulting in two broken legs for the boy.
The incident happened at the Vadapalani apartment complex in Chennai. Four residents choked to death in the fire.
The boy’s father John Christopher said when he opened the door to see what the commotion was about, the smoke entered the house.
However, help was waiting outside.
“There were about 50 persons holding a bedsheet and asking me to throw my son so he can escape from the smoke,” he told reporters.
“Fortunately, he (Christo) fell on his legs and not on his head. Otherwise he may not have escaped (from death)”, Christopher said.
The other occupants managed their way out, he added.
Earlier, four people including two children were suffocated to death after a fire caused by a suspected short circuit.
First Published: May 08, 2017 21:23 IST